First problem. Crank No Start

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just got me a '85 6.9 a couple months ago. It's a spare vehicle so it doesn't get driven much. It hasn't been started in two weeks. Last I drove it was about 250 mi. in a day, up to the cabin property. Had no issues. I tried to start it this morning. Gave the glow plugs 3- 8sec. cycles (manual) then cranked. It fired a few times but never started. Glowed again and cranked until the batteries (too small) started loosing it. let it sit a minute then tried again. Never fired again.
Tried again this evening with both my other cars jumping it. Cranks good and fast but no fire. Got fuel to squirt out of the schrader on the fuel filter while cranking. Took off the drivers side front fuel line from the injector and cranked. Got very little fuel out. Should be high pressure there right? Does that mean my injector pump is bad? What should I check next?

Thanks.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the lift pump was ok due to the fuel pressure at the filter schrader. Am I wrong? The filter was replaced just before I purchased it. So probably 1500 miles or so.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the FSS - fuel shutoff solenoid.

Are you getting any smoke while cranking?

Shouldn't need anywhere near than much GP run time. One cycle should be plenty. Esp. with undersize batteries, you're just taking away cranking power.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
If your lift pump is on the way out it might be pumping fuel just not enough to keep it running.
It could also be air intrusion is your fuel water separator still connected on the drivers side firewall?
Agnem has a tutorial on repairing it. First thing I would do is change the fuel filter and fill the replacement with Transmission fluid.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the FSS? I don't see any smoke while cranking, but its hard to see, the exhaust exits under the bed.
What is the fuel pressure supposed to be? I can check with a gauge tomorrow.
The water separator appears to be attached still. I pulled the ring on it earlier today and nothing came out. I'll have to look closer to see if there is a plug in the drain hose.
I loosened the fuel filter when checking for fuel. It leaked out when I cracked it.
Tranny fluid huh? Whats that do?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Don't loosen the fuel filter when cranking that'll do no good instead crack the injectors and crank if you see fuel coming out then you know you have fuel to the IP
transmission fluid in the Fuel Filter will clean your IP.
Fill new filter with Trans Fluid then start and let it run for about 10 Mins then shut truck off let sit over night. Then start truck back up. It will smoke a lot for about 10-15 Mins.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't crank while the filter was loose. Just looked to check for fuel.
I actually removed an injector line completely from an injector, then cranked. hardly any fuel came out.
I'll try the trans fluid trick, but shouldn't I wait until I can get it starting again first?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I didn't crank while the filter was loose. Just looked to check for fuel.
I actually removed an injector line completely from an injector, then cranked. hardly any fuel came out.
I'll try the trans fluid trick, but shouldn't I wait until I can get it starting again first?

Yes I was saying once you get it running then try it.
I'm thinking it's the lift pump.
Take a look through this thread.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?73154-Truck-Don-t-Start

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does your location state youre in ****? LOL
WITH YOUR GLOW PLUG SYSTEM DISCONNECTED, spray a shot of eather in the intake/turbo
fire it off....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The fuel tanks must be above 1/4 or they suck air because the suction heads are usually broken off. Now as for the high pressure fuel squirting out an open hard line.. Nope. That will not happen. The amount thats pumped thru the lines to the injector is very small. Maybe a drip at the most from the open line. Now connect that line but leave it a 1/2 turn loose and it will spray fuel like wow. Most injection pumps make 1850 lbs of pressure but no volume. This does not means there is no danger from that low volume high pressure. It can still get injected into you fingers if you get too close to an open line.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. FSS clicks. I'm feeding off the rear tank which is full.
I don't have any starting fluid here but how far disconnected does the glow system have to be? I have a manual push button so they won't glow unless pushed.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have a block heater try plugging it in for 1-2 hours then see if she starts.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel doesn't gush out of the injector lines, just a little spurt, about 60 CC's.

Check the "IDI Tech Articles" for hard start.