Anyone know the thread size and pitch of the oil pressure sensor tube?

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to look in the factory books but I cant seem to find it referenced anywhere. I am talking about the small hole that supplies the longish fitting that the oil pressure sensor goes into on the rear of the motor behind the intake manifold.

Thanks guys.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that Gary has said all the NA motor oil galley plugs are 1/8 npt at the block. The factory turbo motors are 1/4npt. Not sure if that helps or not.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine had 1/4 npt on the block and I ran a #6 jic solid SS LINE on my hypermax kit. Both sides have 1/4 npt - #6 jic 90*

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted a turbo block oil ports will be 1/4 inch npt where the non turbo blocks are 1/8 inch npt. I have never worked on the tall adapter so I can say what it is on the top but going into the block you can see what it has to be by what I have posted. No problem having both 1/8 and 1/4 npt taps either. One can never have too many tools in the box.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did know that. I have made up a fitting that will work. I dont think many people here have done it this way but it seems the easiest for me. Ill take a picture of my setup before I install it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our idi blocks are drilled for the 1/8 inch pipe threads to reach the oil unless you have a turbo block. The other plugs I bet your looking at that you say are the 1/4 inch are drains for the coolant in the cylinder blocks. Be sure and pull one and see what comes out. Behind the oil cooler is 2 more main oil galley plugs but they are very difficult to reach. The design was for the onboard air compressors when the idi was in a semi or bus chassis.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
It was an 1/8th fitting. This is what I did. Thank you to Mr Typ4 for his oil line I purchased around 2 years ago and just never put on. This setup should work well, though I know people are doing this differently from the way I did it.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good! Idk why I thought the pressure sensor riser was 1/4... I get mixed up on NPT sizes