Running rough, no power??

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 2001 ford f350 7.3 and it's running really rough misses like crazy and won't start below 50 degrees I've been told it could be injector or it could be the idm any thoughts? All stock truck 255,247 miles

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The easy way to figure it out is to take it to shop that has scanner that works on fords diesels.the autozone cheapy wont work.

Now if you dont mind gettin some tools in your hands.pop the valve covers off,99-03s are known fir the clip breaking off the injector harnesses under the valve cover.94-97 were known for the harnesses melting,slightly possible on 99-03.

its also highly possible the idm is cooked.ford really didnt put much thought into where to mount them in 94-03s,********* put it right were it gets hammered with water.yours is behind the drivers fender.pull the inner fender out and youll see it in front of the door hinges.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
scan scan scan and scan.
did i mention to scan it?

pulling valve covers and checking the harness is a good piece of advice.
no matter the year of the PSD 7.3, the design is crap.
but thats alot of work to figure out that its a EBPV.
not saying thats your issue, but a scanner will tell you exactly whats wrong.
you know the check engine light is on...
and when they say check engine, you should hook it up to a scanner and let the truck tell you whats wrong.
not open the hood and check the oil.:D

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 2001 ford f350 7.3 and it's running really rough misses like crazy and won't start below 50 degrees I've been told it could be injector or it could be the idm any thoughts? All stock truck 255,247 miles

A simple first step is to get the truck running and disconnect one of the harnesses at either valve cover. If the engine shuts off, that harness is still working. If nothing changes then that harness is bad or disconnected under the valve cover. Takes about 5 minutes to try.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to say already replaced glow plugs glow plug controller(try to fix starting issue) and both valve cover gaskets and pig tails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does use little oil not sure if it's leaking it or not though an the check engine light only comes on sometimes but when it comes on the truck runs better. I had my buddy put his snap on scanner on it and he ran the buzz test and all of them sounded kinda weak but he said it wouldn't bring up the idm serial number so he said the idm is most likely bad. But I did talk to a power-stroke mechanic and he said from his experience it's usually the wiring harness that goes to the idm. Any ideas? Thanks

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my IDM was bad,
replaced it,
connector looked good so i put a buncha dialetric grease on it, and its golden.

think i paid 200 for the IDM, and took almost 45 min to change.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I'f it's using oil, injector orings could be starting to fail bleeding the HP oil system down causing hard starts too.
Any soft codes that were stored from the CEL?

logan.krueger

Reaction score
If it starts hard cold under 50 degrees, sounds to me like injector stiction. You can try a oil addative to try and clean them out.....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the ICP sensor. If there is oil around the wires, the sensor is bad. You can disconnect it and see if it runs better. Disconnecting it, the PCM takes over the injection pressure. If someone has a AE Ford Enhanced scanner you can monitor the the injection oil pressure and pulse width. The weak buzz test you mentioned could just be the injector coils are worn, they can be shimmed again to .002 thousandth clearance. There are shim and instructions on ebay for around $50. There is a possibility some of the injector coil screws are loose, can't remember the torque spec, but it's low.

Attachments

• 7.3 PSD Sensors & lines.jpg
    7.3 PSD Sensors & lines.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A simple first step is to get the truck running and disconnect one of the harnesses at either valve cover. If the engine shuts off, that harness is still working. If nothing changes then that harness is bad or disconnected under the valve cover. Takes about 5 minutes to try.

Is this valid on the 94.5 since there are two connectors per cover?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said he replaced the VC gaskets, he more than likely went with the single connector since he changed the pig tails.

You should check the harness that goes over the valve cover, disconnect it and look on the underside for chaffing and/or bare wires, common place for it.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry it's been a while guys I've been installing the turbo on my idi[emoji41]. We have run oil additive and no difference ICP looks good and doesn't run any better unplugged. I read some where that bad injector o rings would leave a black fuel filter?