Super Duty 7.3L PSD vs OBS PSD

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work in a lumber yard so I see a lot of trucks. I notice the Fords particularly, especially since I've gotten my 95 PSD.
So, what I've noticed is that you can hear the turbo on the Super Duty from take off. Mine, not so much. Are the SD turbos just faster spooling or are there other differences?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know what turbo you have or even if it's intercooled. The later models have a much better compressor wheel and intercooler. Main thing to make them spoolup quick, is no exhaust leaks and intercooler sleeve leaks. The new design WW1 and WW2 compressor wheels are so much better.

What year was the best production 7.3l PSD made and what made it the best build?

I think most all the 7.3L from 99.5 to 2003 are just about the same. After that, came the 6.0L - 6.4L and the 6.7L. I know some 7.3L guys went to the 6.0L intercooler which made big difference they said.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re-read my above post.
Money Money on installing an intercooler. Can't tell you how, it would take me all day to type that. Even the Ford AIS air inlet filter makes a difference for $270 bucs.

I don't have a pic of one, maybe someone else does.

Last edited:

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about that. I use Tapatalk and sometimes it doesn't past a while reply the first time I look at it.
I'm interested in building my PSD into the ultimate version of stock but that is definitely down the road.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have to repair/ replace my up pipes. They are leaking. I have every intention of doing the bellows up pipes but the money on that will take some time.
What's your take on the ceramic coating in the up pipes? Worth it?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know a ton about the PSDs, but I understand they switched from forged to powdered metal rods at some point in production. Fine in stock form but obviously the forged were the stronger parts when you start upping the power.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Wicked wheel 1 is just a repackaged 94-97 wheel.the WW2 is a new design,i have one at the shop.

You can add a 99-up intercooler to your 95.its a bit of work but has been done many many times.put one in mine.a 2wd with swaybar is a nightmare,i speak from experience.4wd is a little pita.unfortunately i no longer have pictures of mine.

Try googling gtsmotorsports.he used to make a kit to do it.might get lucky and find someone selling an old kit.

You can make the SD pipes work if youre able to get aluminum welded.

For more whistle search tymar intake or diy tymar type intake.itll cost about a hundred bux to do it.a 3" downpipe will help tremendously,get rid of the catalytic converter(not worth anything for scrap,no platinum in it).

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
The SD turbos are around a .84 A/R and the OBS turbos are usually a 1.15 A/R. That's why you hear the SD turbos light up faster than the OBS ones. The exhaust housing is smaller and the compressor housing is much bigger. Throw a OBS compressor wheel on a SD turbo and you'll have the turbo all 7.3's should have had in a factory style setting.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So mounting an SD turbo hosting on my truck with an OBS wheel would give me a great turbo setup, factory style?
What else would have to be changed to do that?
Certainly would give me access to bellowed up pipes.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Lots of info on it out there... the driver's side exhaust manifold, the up-pipes, the turbo pedestal, the turbo itself, the air delivery (intake plenums and intercooler)... it's not cheap or easy, but the parts are all out there. You just have to find them and piece it all together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online