advice on a budget tow rig

bobbybusch

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here and I'm looking for some advice. My buddies and i are into racing and one of my friends has a car he likes to take to the track and another is in the process of finding the right car to turn into a track car. I am tasked with finding the right truck to get those cars to the track. Heres where I'm at, i am looking for a vehicle that can tow 2 cars to the track so we don't have to use my buddies half-ton Silverado and bum another truck from someone else. We estimate the cars to be about 2000-2500 lbs and a 2 car open trailer. What do you all recommend? I'm not looking for anything to break and speed records getting us there, i just want something that can handle towing 2 cars. Ive been looking at IDIs for a while and i like the price I'm seeing on most and the option of adding a turbo kit down the road, but I'm looking for suggestions. Im not looking to spend a ton of money either (we're all poor). I'm not against any brands and I'm not super particular. Any help would be great! Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're in the SFBA so there's no need for a 4x4 tow rig. keep your eyes open for a CC dually 2wd. DO NOT BUY A CHEAP RIG. it will leave you stranded on the way to or from the track. $3k to 5k for a idi rig will serve you flawlessly. why a Crew Cab? there no track close by to SJ. you will save money either sleeping in the rig or under it. I did it for years.
one word of advice.
if you're poor, don't buy a race car until you saved up $10k minimum. a race car is like a boat, to stay competitive you will need to pour money into it.
good luck.

bobbybusch

Reaction score
Do you have any suggestion on 6.9 or 7.3?
Thats the best part of having friends with similar interest, they buy the cars, i get a truck, i get to use the car! Ill let them spend their money on cars.

bobbybusch

Reaction score
also, what about the chevy 6.5? i know they don't make much power and don't have much room for growth, but how are they for towing?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any suggestion on 6.9 or 7.3?
Thats the best part of having friends with similar interest, they buy the cars, i get a truck, i get to use the car! Ill let them spend their money on cars.
if it is a 6.9.....get one in a '85-'87 truck.
if it is a 7.3.....maintenance records is king.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also, what about the chevy 6.5? i know they don't make much power and don't have much room for growth, but how are they for towing?
don't do it. they overheat once and they're done.
the supply of good used motors is also all dried up too.

bobbybusch

Reaction score
ok, good to know. I know diesel if far superior to gas when it comes to towing, but what about a dually gas truck, like the ford 460 or v10, chevy 454 or dodge v10? I want a diesel truck but gas trucks are typically cheaper. any insight on that?

bobbybusch

Reaction score
I saw that one! good looking truck. When it comes to fords what auto trans is better the c6, or e4od or what ever the other is? I have always wanted a manual truck but they are surprisingly more expensive than autos....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, good to know. I know diesel if far superior to gas when it comes to towing, but what about a dually gas truck, like the ford 460 or v10, chevy 454 or dodge v10? I want a diesel truck but gas trucks are typically cheaper. any insight on that?
460 good but extreme thrist
v10 do not buy without maintence records. high potential for being a pos and thirsty.
454 good but extreme thirst.
dodge v10 run as far away as you can. expensive parts, little support, thirsty.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw that one! good looking truck. When it comes to fords what auto trans is better the c6, or e4od or what ever the other is? I have always wanted a manual truck but they are surprisingly more expensive than autos....
autos are not as desirable compared to manuals for some. I am one. I am also very biased to manuals.
C6 is good but no OD.
E4OD is more commonly known as E4DOA to the ones left on the side of the road or when they get the rebuild bill.

bobbybusch

Reaction score
so if i were to go the gas route you'd recommend either a 460 or 454? Do you think they'd be worse on fuel than an idi?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so if i were to go the gas route you'd recommend either a 460 or 454? Do you think they'd be worse on fuel than an idi?
my '92 CC dually 4x2 gets 13mpg on a bad day TOWING.
a 460 or a 454 will get 10 mpg EMPTY.
towing with either will drop you to 5-7 mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online