Found this when I pulled the bottom cover off the transmission

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this mystery piece when I pulled the bottom cover of my transmission, just below the fly wheel. Can you guys identify it for me? It's obviously been sheared off.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a dual mass flywheel?

If you do, there 6 springs between the two flywheel pieces... that looks like a piece of one of those springs.

If you have dual mass, I suggest it's time to get a new flywheel.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect it is now "multi-mass" rather than "dual mass"... and that it is doing a "half-mass job" about now..

With the flywheel cover off, and the wheels chocked so it doesn't roll over you, put it in neutral, then try to move the clutch [back side of dual mass flywheel is bolted to the clutch] and see how much you can rotate the clutch before it comes into hard contact, in both directions..

If you have sloppy free play at the clutch, the springs in the dual mass flywheel are shot and starting to come apart. [what I suspect has happened]

If you can rotate the clutch back and forth by hand [or with a lever, like a screwdriver] the dual mass is failing or failed.. 1/16th to 1/8 turn each way if the springs are collapsed, about...

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing.
if your clutch slave is good, re-use it.
may be a good idea to empty the trans of its fluid too,
itll make a pound or two lighter..lol
then you know it has good fluid in it.

when installing a transmission, i use 6" bolts with the head cut off to align the trans during install.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts geek is cheap but if they mess up you ship it back on your dime....that's why i don't use them anymore....rockauto is your friend....

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dual mass flywheel is toast..

Replace it, before it takes out a bunch of other expensive things when it flys apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online