Could have been an easy job, now a Disaster

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay guys. I was working on my 95 PSD taking in the dreaded oil dipstick adapter leak. I got the kit from Diesel O Ring and everything seemed to go smoothly. Got the o ring replaced and the nut on. Took the brush out and was checking the nut, then....thunk, there goes the adapter inside of the oil pan!
So, any way I get out of this without pulling the engine? I don't have the resources to pull an engine. No cherry picker and it's near no tree, just in the wide open of my driveway. Don't really have the money to tow it to a shop and have them do it either. Oh, and it's my daily driver.... sigh

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have know idea how big the part is that dropped in there or if it's metal. If it is small enough to fit thru the drain hole maybe you could use a strong magnet on the outside of the pan to get it over to the drain hole then fish it out??

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's supposed to be pot metal, not drawn to a magnet. The adapter was already inside of the pan. I was trying to change the o ring with it still in the pan. I got everything back together and the retaining nut slipped off, thusly dropping the adapter into the bottom of the oil pan.
I'm going to try and fish it out tomorrow with a metal coat hanger. Although, I honestly think the threads are damaged because I'm certain I got everything back together correctly

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your problem. Fishing it out is certaily going to be a task, if it's at all possible. The pan is 11" deep from rail to bottom. Here is a couple of pics of the pan so you know what your up against. The oil pickup screen is about 4" in dia. and is about 1/2" off the bottom. I would drain the oil and try to scoot it over to the drain hole, then maybe you could hook it somehow to pull it up. Trouble is the pickup screen is pretty close to covering the drain hole.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    298.4 KB · Views: 12

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that shelf....
It was sitting up there when I carelessly jammed my figure in and knocked it to the very deep bottom of the pan.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Strictly Diesel oil dipstick adapter is crazy expensive ($365 with next day shipping) but it is very easy to install and definitely solves the problem. The beast is back on the road! It sounds a helluva lot quieter as well. I guess the oil leak was just that bad, damn.

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you remove the loose piece or did you just leave it at the bottom of the pan?

sassyrel

Reaction score
The Strictly Diesel oil dipstick adapter is crazy expensive ($365 with next day shipping) but it is very easy to install and definitely solves the problem. The beast is back on the road! It sounds a helluva lot quieter as well. I guess the oil leak was just that bad, damn.

yeah, I read that,,and thought it was made of gold!!!! but the other options you had,,were none!!! glad you got it back together...

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a very well built design, frankly. It's just hard to accept paying that much for a couple pieces of machined aluminum, two bolts, and two o rings. Lol
Although, there is a bit of priceless in being able to drive my truck again.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what does the back side look like?
does not seem too hard to make!
they are killing it on that part.
most likely cost them 50 bucks to machine.
but this is a part that goes in the "got you by the balls" factor.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed it does!
The back side is a mostly straight bar that has two bolts that screw into it. The outside piece has two o rings where it sits flush with the outside of the pan. In order to keep it all together they welded the end of one of the bolts to the back piece. Pretty damn smart design. Fool proof even.
They do, however, have a patent.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can fish it out.it went down,itll come back up.go to a parts store or harbor freight if you have one and get this http://m.rakuten.com/product/277679...57&adid=29963&sclid=pla_google_AllTopBargains .use a mirror and a flashlight if needed.the grabber will grab the edge and hold on like a pissed off pit bull.love that tool.

Took a coat hanger and bend a hook on the end and stick it down the dipstick hole.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01