1987 F-350 Crew Fummins build

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Haven't been on the forum in a while, but have been working on the truck. In the middle of doing the 12v Cummins swap in my 1987 F-350 Crewcab. Engine is a 92' 12v out of a Dodge 3500 with 198k on the clock. VE pump is fresh, I also took the time to reseal all the gaskets, including the head gasket and resetting the overhead. Engine is stock, with the exception that I swapped out the 21cm exhaust housing on the HC1 with a 16cm unit from a 4BT. Future plans include a 3200 GSK, fuel pin and some pump adjustments.
Conversion parts used include, DCS engine mounts, Allmaras Machine transmission adapter plate, Ford 6.0 Starter, Valair 13" organic clutch, Autometer Z-Series Boost, Pyro, Oil and water gauges, Dodge IC and piping, Napa VR38 voltage regulator and lots of little odds and ends.
Engine is currently installed and has been test fired. Just mounted the intercooler last night, finished up my downpipe and 5" exhaust. Driveshaft is getting shortened today, next up is plumbing the IDI radiator and reassembling the front end.
I'm hoping for some good mileage numbers from this setup. With the ZF5 and Gear Vendors OD I was getting 17/21mpg with the 6.9 and Banks turbo. Hoping to add to those numbers and get some better HP/TQ in the process. Stay tuned, feel free to ask any questions.
Kenny
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Attachments

• IMG_20150401_123546672_zpsi0pdrsdg.jpg
    IMG_20150401_123546672_zpsi0pdrsdg.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20150401_200536428_zpsrhjj2gta.jpg
    IMG_20150401_200536428_zpsrhjj2gta.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 12

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Wondered where you had been. You were pretty active there for awhile, about the time I really started reading a lot here. I imagine there's more support/info on other forums for a cummins swap. Looks good!

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Wondered where you had been. You were pretty active there for awhile, about the time I really started reading a lot here. I imagine there's more support/info on other forums for a cummins swap. Looks good!

Yep I was on and off for a while there, interests changed and then finally got back to working on the truck again. Gathered parts for 3 months, took my time on prepping the engine too. This is a good group of folks here, I know some think its sac religious to swap in a Cummins...but its a project I've had on my mind since the day I brought the truck home. On the other side of the coin, most Cummins guys don't appreciate a nice 87-91 Bricknose truck like the Oilburners group does.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good man. I don't discriminate. Always wanted to take a ford and chevy and build a real truck out of the two. Build what you want and enjoy.

giezy

Reaction score
Should be a fun ride when done drove a 77 drumlins with a zf5 and was a good truck to drive seams to be the right bit of everything in the drive train

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK...I will bite...:D...you're gonna have to have some serious gear reduction for the Briggs....:rotflmao

Okay, I'm glad someone else caught that. I was worried that I was seeing things. Not sure you could stack enough gear reduction for it.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
You gotta have some fun with a project like this. Glad you guys got a kick out of the Briggs sitting in there.

Update:
Truck is running and back on the road. Been driving it for the last 5 days and very pleased. Made a fuel adjustment to the IP and she makes nice poser, its a breath of fresh air to have some torque on the bottom end that the old IDI didn't make. Still need to figure out a bracket to reuse the old V-Belt IDI A/C compressor, attach cruise control cable to the throttle, drill and tap the new pyrometer install the front driveshaft and install the 3200 gov spring and do some more fuel pump tuning.

And finally ready to head home on the maiden voyage!

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Oh it happened...video to prove it :)

https://youtu.be/Zp8KK2Fa9r8

No write up on seat install unfortunately, pretty straight forward, just tweak the legs, drill and bolt them in with fat fender washers. Going ti redo them eventually.

PapeCAT

Reaction score
Nice Truck, I'm in the final stages of the same project, damn near. Except my motor is from a non i/c 1991.0 truck. I decided to go sans intercooler for now, but running an HE300VG VGT turbo mainly for exhaust brake and to see how the EGTs pan out. I have a powerstroke intercooler out of a 2001 but I think that Gen 1 intercooler looks like a nice fit and you were able to save the stock grille!

edit here are a couple pics, sorry for the thread hijack

Last edited: