not cranking and no speedo

93 RHD

Reaction score
A few days ago I was out in my truck (1993 7.3 e4od 4wd) stopped at shop came back to truck and it would not crank over. I checked fuses, nothing blown so i slid under truck, shorted the starter and it started straight up. While driving home the truck had hard shifts and the speedo is not working. I'm thinking it might be mlp sensor from things I've read but not sure. Any ideas or help greatly appreciated

lkc2cool

Reaction score
I would replace the key switch and the starter solenoid after that go about looking behind the dash for anything that could have been stomped loose with a large and clumsy boot in a hard stop if not then look at the starter and see if the wire makes it to the starter. beyond that then without a closer look then guess away.

93 RHD

Reaction score
Thanks Ikc2cool i have replaced the starter solenoid already and no change

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no clue about the hard shifts, ive only owned manuals.
but if the engine didnt want to crank over ( as in no juice to the starter)
i would test your battery cables first.
then check all of your grounds.
either one of these will cause electrical gremlins.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you can start it at the starter relay, that means you have no power from the ignition "switch" which is mounted on the steering column at the bottom, could be the rod that actuates the switch has broke at the key, or the switch itself has come loose, or the switch just went capoot. Check for 12V at the switch. Check the connector close/over the valve cover pass side.

If you didn't have hard shifts before you stopped, you might mhave knocked a connector loose climbing under the truck, check them.

Attachments

• Scan.BMP.jpg
    Scan.BMP.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
A few days ago I was out in my truck (1993 7.3 e4od 4wd) stopped at shop came back to truck and it would not crank over. I checked fuses, nothing blown so i slid under truck, shorted the starter and it started straight up. While driving home the truck had hard shifts and the speedo is not working. I'm thinking it might be mlp sensor from things I've read but not sure. Any ideas or help greatly appreciated

Hard shifts and the speedometer isn't working. I'll have a go at this part. I'd say that the prime suspect is the sensor on the rear differential. That sensor feeds the speedometer. The computer controlling the E4OD requires that speed input in order to control the transmission properly. If the speed input is not there, the transmission goes into limp mode, the shifts become hard. You have 2nd, I think it is, and reverse only.

That sensor on on the front side, upper portion, of the differential. A single bolt holds it in place. It's easy to replace.

lkc2cool

Reaction score
Still thinking key switch issues for some reason. You can check that sensor on the rear axle with a test light to see if its getting power. Sometimes the rod from the ignition to the key switch gets bent out of shape bend it straight and it goes to work again sometimes just guessing.

93 RHD

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I will check the key switch and the speed sensor. Does the speed sensor have anything to do with the odometer because that's not working neither

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the odometer display a number that doesn't change? Or is it blank?

As for the no-crank, I would NOT replace anything until you've TESTED. It's all simple testable stuff. First, check voltage at the small-wire terminal on the starter relay as an assistant turns the key to START. Also, try starting in in Neutral, an also move the shifter from Neutral toward Reverse and toward Drive while holding the key in the START position.

93 RHD

Reaction score
The odometer is blank nothing at all and I've tried moving gear selector with key in the start position

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speedo - VSS is NOT the prime suspect. At least, you have no way of knowing. Prime suspect is the PSOM - programmable speedometer/odometer module - in the dash. If it's dead, no speedo, no odo, and no speed signal to the TCM. Check the fuse for it first, of course (I don't have an OBS IDI, so you'll have to check the owner's manual).

Did you do the voltage check for the no-crank?

93 RHD

Reaction score
I didn't do the voltage check I just put another solinoid on and no difference. I have checked the fuses and all looked good

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace the SOLENOID (which is on the starter) or the RELAY (which is on the fender)? Did you try bypassing the relay?

93 RHD

Reaction score
Sorry i changed the one on the fender. We call that a solenoid in Australia and a relay is a 4 pin switch box thing

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the relay the type that grounds through the mounting base?

Try that voltage test. Also try jumping the relay.