WMO what to do with it?

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have 110 gallons of waste motor oil, gear oil, and trans fluid. I do oil changes on all my neighborhood's vehicles. Just about every 6 months I fill up my containers. Im not into using WMO just yet so thought I would ask you guys. Who would like to pick it up? You need to have your own containers and pump. As I have always just sold it to the oil recycling people.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is exactly why i am looking for a beater IDI.
235 gallons now.
separate it, mix some 91 octane in it, filter it, heat it and compress it!
(warningsomeofthoseitemsAREoutoforderandincorrect)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
runs great at 50-50 with diesel in spring/summer here, should work great is AZ if you want, I run some good prefilters always. AND the boss is talking of buying a centrifuge, WOOHOO>

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just burn it! It's very easy stuff to work with and would save you money! Look in the alt fuels section, there's some basic info I put up in a thread started by IDIoit for folks new to WMO.

You can set up a decent filtration system for under $100 and burn the $300 worth of oil you have without any changes/modifications to the truck.

5 gal bucket, 3 filter housing from amazon, clearwater pump from harbor freight, 5 gal fuel jug to transfer and you're in business. If you're running it 50/50 with diesel in a warm location don't worry about thinning it with gas. You already have a steady supply, which is often the hardest thing to locate.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have 110 gallons of waste motor oil, gear oil, and trans fluid. I do oil changes on all my neighborhood's vehicles. Just about every 6 months I fill up my containers. Im not into using WMO just yet so thought I would ask you guys. Who would like to pick it up? You need to have your own containers and pump. As I have always just sold it to the oil recycling people.

Read this thread first before deciding.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...and-waste-motor-oil-cores&highlight=wmo,+pump

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep go for it, works great. If you are mixing in more than a small percentage or want to use it in somewhat colder temps, you can add a separate switch for the return and a separate fuel filter for the supply, allowing you to purge the injection system to always have a clean cold start on pure diesel; takes stress off the IP plus never risk clogging your diesel filter with oil.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Ya but you could buy a cheap core to send to Mel, and still make out with extra $$$

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just working on procurement of a fuge myself. With the landlords old Ford 3000 and so on series tractors and IDI truck, and IDI Muscateer....I'm stupid NOT to run WMO and with a fuel oil tank for furnace I can get the local fuel co to drop off some wonderful furnace oil and mix it in for winter!

The savings on fuel more than pay for a replacement IP and injectors. That's win win in my books. Ya it may eat an IP however I'm planning on fuging it then a 2 micron depth media filter setup for gravity feed into a clean barrel, then mixed with kerosene for a wonderfully clean blend.

JM2CW

Oh and to the OP...ifn u was closer...I'd be all over it!

The local resturant pub I got WVO from...burned down a year or so ago..no more free fuel there either sadly!

Black dawg

Reaction score
Burning 300 gallons or going 5400 miles on WMO saves you enough to replace your entire fuel system. That's another 70,000 miles of injection system life, minimum, to save a total of $11,000 in fuel costs.

If you have it available, I say filter and burn it.

Yes, wmo can save you money, but your time has to be worth something?:dunno Last time I calculated it, burning wmo had saved me enough to pay someone to install a complete drop in turbo idi in my truck.

To bad all that money went other placescookoo

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, wmo can save you money, but your time has to be worth something?:dunno Last time I calculated it, burning wmo had saved me enough to pay someone to install a complete drop in turbo idi in my truck.

To bad all that money went other placescookoo

the point is that it DID NOT go into your fuel tank ;Sweet

i cant wait to find that 500 dollar truck ive been looking for!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burning 300 gallons or going 5400 miles on WMO saves you enough to replace your entire fuel system. That's another 70,000 miles of injection system life, minimum, to save a total of $11,000 in fuel costs.

If you have it available, I say filter and burn it.

Hmm...free trip across Canada and Back...nice...last time I did BC-PEI-BC was about 11200 Km or 7200 miles...there bouts - + a bit...hmm..that would allow a free drive there n back or say to US and out to an IDI Ralley!!!!!:sly

Hmm...starts looking really interesting when ya do that math! Add a RTT and go! just use a tidy tank for WMO and mix on fly with diesel???;Sweet

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Filtering 15 gallons (electric pump) and pumping it into a truck (manual pump) takes me less time than driving to my closest gas station. I pick up small batches of oil on lunch breaks or bulk oil on my way home. I've collected enough 15 gal tanks from picking up oil to drain off my entire 100 gallon truck mounted tank.

Really not much of a time investment at all...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online