OBS PSD alternator issues?

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I got my 96 F250 last year I noticed low voltage on idle but other than that no problems so far with electricity.
But now just out of curiosity I want to know from you guy if this is normal ;Sweet

(All measured with my Ford AIC module)

Idle 650rpm ~12.5V
At about 1100rpm ~14.5V

At night you can see the headlights dim if I let of the gas on a stop and the "normal" voltage meter in the gauge cluster drops.

If I look at the alternator I can see the inside windings and they are black...not "copper orange" :dunno

Greetings from germany and thanks in advance!

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, another thing to buy LOL
At least there is rockauto so it's not a big problem for someone in germany...

Can anything happen if I leave it like that other than a drained battery?
I mean...I drove like this for almost a year now...

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
Not just a drained battery, you can flat-out kill a battery (or two) like that.

+2, because, most likely,,one diodes bad..when one goes bad,,its puts more load than the others are rated for,,,and its only a matter of time.................................

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last friday I bought a new alternator via rockauto. It arrived today (wow! fast shipping ;Sweet ) and I installed it directly.
Fixed the problem!
The only thing I had to do was swapping the pulleys (the ACDelco one is smaller).

14.1V at idle now and no drop or variation with rpm.

(I bought an ACDELCO #3351106. Was that a good decision?)

sassyrel

Reaction score
Last friday I bought a new alternator via rockauto. It arrived today (wow! fast shipping ;Sweet ) and I installed it directly.
Fixed the problem!
The only thing I had to do was swapping the pulleys (the ACDelco one is smaller).

14.1V at idle now and no drop or variation with rpm.

(I bought an ACDELCO #3351106. Was that a good decision?)

smelco, delco, or whatever. theres good and bad between all of them..you just take your chances.............the only ones ive never had a problem with,,are NEW ones,,from whoever,,rebuilds can be a game of roulette...

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
smelco, delco, or whatever. theres good and bad between all of them..you just take your chances.............the only ones ive never had a problem with,,are NEW ones,,from whoever,,rebuilds can be a game of roulette...

you need to find a local rebuilder....you know...the guy who still smokes cigarettes and has scantly clad posters of women on the walls of the shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online