Are all VE pumps the same?

RavenMocker

Reaction score
Ive been running diesels a good part of my life but have only made basic adjustments to what ever injection pump was on the engine at the time. Mercedes, Hino, Cummins, VW, etc....

I have a Cummins 3.4 liter with a turbo diesel. If I remember its from an 1988 industrial truck. The engine uses a Bosch VE rotary pump thats running just fine but I also have a brand new spare pump on the shelf. Id like to add another 100+ hp and torque. So now I am here to familiarize myself with the IP thats currently on the engine and if this spare is the same as the one on the engine that why not do what ever mod's needed on this pump and then install it.

So here is the IP in the engine now = 147-0465-26; 0 460 406 069; VE R 421
Here is the spare IP on the shelf = 147-0465-15; 0 460 406 048; VE R 209; 011 84958797

Being I know very little about these pumps are there areas I need to strengthen? What are the weak places? Ive read about some mods on the fuel pin.

I will also be changing out the Injectors and nozzles, setting them to a higher psi and balancing them. The turbo is an M10 AR .42.

Ive been on other boards and so far nada with guidance and which direction to take this project. I had the motor in a 4200b 4x4 and towed with it. The engine does need more power for that application but it is being moved over to a Jeep MJ that is much liter. Even with the new rig being liter I would still like a little more power. I do have access to a diesel engine dyno but havent called to see what they are going to charge to get a baseline and then tune.

You must be registered for see images attach

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Yes that should work.
6bt should work on a 4bt.
I would do a Denny T Fuel Pin While your at it.

RavenMocker

Reaction score
I have a six cylinder Cummins thats an A series. I want to build this VE pump and take out any weaknesses that I can. Im not going to be pulling tons of trailer weight but it would be nice to go from 125hp to over 220hp and over 300ft-lbs. Thats what I am aiming for anyway. :)

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Kinda The Same Thing I'll be doing. I'm going to do a 12v Swap in my Suburban
more for The Fuel Mpgs. So I'll have The Pump Rebuilt And Some Mods Done.