drain or alternator

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so thought I was good almost everything is new on this truck. Put new cables on 3g swap only get my batteries to 12.5 volts running advance said the alt I pulled off the taurus was good. Anyway drove the truck a few days then let it set yesterday started it to let it run some batteries still 12.5 let it set 24 hours batteries almost completely dead so ooo is it the drain the previous owner said it had or the alternator?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
disconnect power lead from Alt to bat after fully charged let sit 24 hrs...see if still drains...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The PO said it had a drain...I don't ever remember you saying that.

Something is fundamentally broken. There is no way with a "good" alternator you should only have 12.5 volts with it running. Does it increase at all with RPM? Do what riot said because that will eliminate the alternator as the draw (I've had 3 do this on my subaru). But either the measurement is wrong or you have a serious draw (like headlights on) to give you that voltage running. Can you check that voltage while the GPs are running? You should get about 8-9 volts then.

I wish I weren't so slammed, I'd make the trip up there to try to help you sort this but it just isn't in the cards right now.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys as I'm sitting with a flat darn nail I was at 12 volts turned me heater off and I'm reading like 12.5 now. Not sure what I have going on it does seem my gauge is correct going off when I tested it myself

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you using the stock gauge or a Multi meter to test? If you are going by the stock gauge...it's not accurate and could be faulty as well.

JM2CW

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going off of the stock gauge and also with a multimeter. After a long day of using the truck to mulch when we were almost done for the day the battery seems very weak but she did start. Drove it home about 40 minutes and nervous that my voltage was dropping when I got home it was down around 9 volts! If I told you guys how I did the 3G swap wiring could you let me know if I did this correctly

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How I did 3g basically after putting the alternator in place the yellow wire goes to the back of the alternator where the power wire goes I ran for the power wire from a Crown Victoria to the fender selenoid small white wire goes to its own separate small plug and the green with red tracer gets spliced together with the old existing green wire with red tracer and gets plugged back in to the clip closed by the passenger inner fender

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the alternator is draining the batteries, it will be warm to hot when the rest of the engine is cool. My bet is it isn't making any juice though.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you! Basically looking at this what I did it could be wrong is the yellow wire labeled a I ran that back and put it on the output of the alternator just not sure in the picture of the diagram you sent me the yellow line that runs to the bottom of the fender selenoid?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have asked if your using an external regulator or if the 3G has the internal regulator. The pics I got off the web 1st and second show an external regulator.
!st pic here is with the internal regulator.
2nd pic is with the external regulator.

Attachments

• post-889-0-41043700-1324555726.jpg
    post-889-0-41043700-1324555726.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members