5th Wheel Weight Limit

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
What size of 5th wheel can I pull without killing my truck? I am going to buy buying one in the next few months and its gonna be between 30 and 34 feet. Weight anywhere from 10,000 to 14,000 lbs. Shouldn't be an issue right? I wont be traveling all over but gonna be taking it through some steep terrain, it's going to be my home until I find property thats right for me. Yes, it's going to be a newer one, the old ones weigh to much.... And I dont like the interiors LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as long as you are not in a hurry, your truck can handle it no problem. if you are in a hurry, time for a new rig.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice avatar!

You must be registered for see images attach

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Towcat said. x200. Mine moves my 9k trailer along well enough, but I plan acceleration points to be at speed when needed. You do nothing spur of the moment/quickly.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Okay, you think the springs can handle it? I dont want to buy a trailer and have my truck squatting. This trailer is gonna weigh more towards 12,000 to 15,000 lbs, empty....... so figure, on the high side, 18,000 LBS all loaded up. I think it takes a lot to squat these rear-ends.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Well your going to have Sagging Ever see those 1-ton Trucks pulling 5th wheel Campers and they're Sagging
if your worried about it invest in some AirBags. ;Poke

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, you will need airbags. There is no doubt about that. Towing an 18k trailer is very heavy for these trucks. I would not feel comfortable towing that trailer with your truck. Once you hit wind gusts, forget about it. You won't have control even with a sway bar. My buddies dads 99 F250 cc diesel with airbags and a 100hp chip was working hard towing his 14k toyhauler up the donner pass grades. We hit a wind gust and it pushed truck and trailer in other lane and this was with a sway bar. Luckilly nobody was in that lane when we got pushed over. A dually would have offered better stability IMO.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you plan on using your F250 to haul 18,000 lbs GVW your way overloaded. Check your door tag for rear axle weight. The 5er pin weight is going to be near 2400 lbs for a 12000 lb 5er.

My 99 PSD pulling a 12500 lb 33 ft 98 American Star has all it can do pulling 6% hills, and that's kicking her up 60HP towing with an SP Performance.

taking it through some steep terrain

That engine will be screaming at 10 MPH.

Attachments

• DSCN0345.JPG
    DSCN0345.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Well, so be it then, if I have to go slow then I have to go slow. I can't buy a trailer and a new truck, it's either one or the other till I start my new job this summer. Then I can get a newer truck...... My truck will be fine with a trailer between 30 and 34 feet. I am not buying anything older than 2003 cause the newer they are, the lighter they are. The trailer will weigh about 12,000 LBS, all loaded up I'm gonna say 13500 LBS. I have a parts truck, I am taking the 1st helper spring under the main leaf and adding that into mine. I should be fine.....

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
The trailer that I end up buying, is going to be my home for the next few years until I find the property that suits me best. Anything smaller than 30 feet is going to be small and uncomfortable. It is just my girlfriend and I, and after looking at trailers, we decided between 30 and 34 feet is perfect. When I buy the trailer, I'll let you know how it pulls..... I aint got a choice here.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you own a F450 you understand rear gearing. in short, you had two choices. 5.13 which is oem for the early 90's and then with the PSD, you got an additional choice of 4.63.
bottom line....you now have a truck than can haul 15k gvw up the side of a building. As long as you can wait all day for it to do it.
If you are the impatient type, you will need to find a more powerful truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online