6.2 ignition intermittent click

ncidi

Reaction score
Any 6.2 guys here who can give me a hand? So we got the 84 6.2 suburban running again a couple weeks ago...after replacing the fuel filter with a racor setup we were priming it and thought we burned out another starter. We replaced the starter only a few days before to fix the truck and so we replaced the starter again after we thought it burned out. Intermittently when you turn the key switch you can hear a click and the starter won't spin at all. Lately this will not happen at all or within 3 turns of the key switch it will crank. This morning it took nearly 20 times to get the truck to crank, and when it actually cranked over the batteries could barely crank the truck. Any advice would really be appreciated. I'm going to test both of the starters we have taken off when I get home to see if they are still good. The batteries are both good and we checked the battery connections too.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a 6.2, its top post.
GM went to the infernal side terminal back in 1973.
check all your connections. if you have a DVM(digital voltmeter) check all sides of the connections. anything more than a .5 volt drop across the terminals will cause you the grief you are experiencing. especially the connection from the cable to the starter stud. check all your grounds also.