Loss of Torque???

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so I have been trying to figure this out since I got the '03 back in August. Done the oil cooler, egr delete, coolant flush, blue spring, thermo, degas bottle cap, turbo cleaned.

Everything seems ok at normal acceleration, but at 3/4 pedal to WOT it just does not build any speed after 2,500 rpms. It kinda throws you forward with the loss of pull. Here is a video from yesterday. I know I need a better way to monitor the truck, but this is all I have for now. The ScanGauge2 will not read EBP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKAtZ4bVrQY

Torque converter? Trans? Backpressure? Any help would be great?

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cat or muffler plugged up possibly. 03 doesn't use the EBP sensor anymore. one of the original reflashes took care of that.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is your boost pressure going down? Should be going up at that RPM. PCM might be cutting it off as overboosting. Check the Red and Green lines to the turbo. The wastgate might be opening too soon, it can be adjusted for higher boost.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is your boost pressure going down? Should be going up at that RPM. PCM might be cutting it off as overboosting. Check the Red and Green lines to the turbo. The wastgate might be opening too soon, it can be adjusted for higher boost.
Vgt turbo doesnt use vacuum for control. Pcm pwm solenoid controls oil pressure to change turbo. 6.0 totally different than a 7.3

Rykstalk60

Reaction score
Hey all i am new to the site. I have a 2005 F350 6.0 L ive had it for a year now and still kinda new to the deisel sceen. Im wanting to tune it. Maybe get a little more performance out of it. Now im not lookin to put this on a track or even be the one cruzin through town lookin for a truck poll, but i would like some better responce to the push of a pettle.. What all do i need to tune this. Is all im needing is a tunner that is compatable with my truck or do i have to have it chipped first.. Any and all info would be great.. Thanks

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ryk,

Welcome to the site. A question like this should be in its own thread. However, what are you looking to do, with the truck? I have an 03 and see no reason to tune. It works very well stock. Remember, if you turn it up too much, you can break it, and it will be big bucks to fix. Goto the UserCP and fill in your signature with your truck information, list any mods or the like. That will help us, help you.

Greetings from the other side of Indy......

Rykstalk60

Reaction score
It is pretty much stock all the way around. A few slight mods. Its kinda a dog when excelerating. Im not wanting to tune it a ton just something that will give me a little more power.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I hate to sound this way, but are you sure there isn't something wrong with the truck? Mine will pin you back in the seat until it this the speed limiter.....

Here is a video I made in mine right after a FICM rebuild. The truck is 100% stock in this video, no tuner, and all factory installed parts in place....

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=385801491453830&l=9216285342915322624

It's no slouch..... and tows really well.......

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to sound this way, but are you sure there isn't something wrong with the truck? Mine will pin you back in the seat until it this the speed limiter....
It's no slouch..... and tows really well.......

My truck has never had that kinda of response since I got it!! I did check the ICP/HPOP pressure yesterday on a test drive. Never got over 2,500 psi at a 60mph to WOT. So I'm thinking HPOP is weak or ICP valve???? any thoughts on that?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My truck has never had that kinda of response since I got it!! I did check the ICP/HPOP pressure yesterday on a test drive. Never got over 2,500 psi at a 60mph to WOT. So I'm thinking HPOP is weak or ICP valve???? any thoughts on that?

Sorry, that was actually to the "new guy", but it applies here too. Do you have a CEL? When my ICP went, it threw a CEL and the truck would act all funny. When you were running down the road, it was like you stabbed the throttle for about 30 milliseconds (faster than humanly possible), or sitting idling it would chug, or rev up and down, or even just die. Hit the key and it would start back up. It could be the ICP, or the IPR. or something in the HPOP. I've not dealt with anything other than an ICP or a bad FICM. But the low HOP would be the problem. Can you scan it, or have something like an AutoEngunity that you can run test with, and read the operational parameters? At this point that is what I would look at and see what the sensors are reading and commanding to determine if is a sensor problem, or a HPOP problem. Another odd question, but how many miles on the oil, conventional or synthetic and how much is in there. Overfull can cause foaming and bad running, to low and it just wont run...... Mine is really picky about oil quality. I can FEEL the change in performance when the oil is getting old........

Pull-n-TugTx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, that was actually to the "new guy", but it applies here too. Do you have a CEL? Another odd question, but how many miles on the oil, conventional or synthetic and how much is in there. Overfull can cause foaming and bad running, to low and it just wont run...... Mine is really picky about oil quality. I can FEEL the change in performance when the oil is getting old........

NO CEL. Yesterdays run was about 5-600 miles in on the last oil change, synthetic oil. Like I said its run this way since right after I got it. I need to update the Sig Line. I have done a OEM oil Cooler, EGR Delete, Blue Spring, Thermo, Coolant Flush, and had the Turbo Cleaned.

I did notice since the last oil change. If the Oil temp is lower than the Water temp its a lot more sluggish. Once the temps get with in the same or the Oil a couple higher it runs better at normal execration.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, I am not sure then....

When that video was shot, that was the first time the truck had ran in almost 4 months, due to a bad FICM (Completely failed and would not start, would only produce 12 volts, not 48). At that point in time the only not factory thing was the FUMOTO valve in the pan. It had Motorcraft Conventional 15W-40 in it, the EGR Cooler and all the other factory installed parts.

It still runs that good and has 145,*** on it. I have since that video replaced the Water Pump and done an coolant flush and change, the EGR Cooler has been removed (had a coolant supply line leak, the Cooler itself is still just fine, but to replace the supply line the Cooler had to be removed, so it just stayed that way......) and its had an ICP sensor, and a set of batteries. It is still running the factory turbo, factory injectors and factory head gaskets and bolts. It has not had a tuner on it, and will not have a tuner on it..... I would say have some real-time data captured and see where that points you.....

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hpop is probably toast, early build hpop's were a bad design and have a finite lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hpop is probably toast, early build hpop's were a bad design and have a finite lifetime.

Usually 150 and the're at the end of their lifespan.

I'd look into getting AE and tak a look at the ICP and FICM values and start there.