DT360: The beginning

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the DT manifold will outflow the Cummins by a good bit. Looking forward to pics of you pulling the head off as well as shortening the water pump. Maybe if shortening the pump doesn't work you could examine the possibility of making an adapter to put a commonly available but more compact pump on there.

I ended up having the water pump shortened just as much as Jon did in his build. It was a little less than what I had wanted, but I can make it work. The disadvantage is there probably isn't going to be enough room to run much of a fan... I think if I run Evans coolant it may help in the temperature department.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have a much bigger intake and exhaust vs a Cummins

As far as inside volume of the intake and exhaust manifolds, there is NO comparison. A DT makes a 6BT look like a little kid's toy. Which is exactly why I bought this engine. :D

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leeland pointed me to a company called Diesel Cast West http://www.dieselcastwelding.com/ for head work.

I just got off the phone with Gary, an employee there. He told me there isn't a stiffer valve spring for these engines. A basic rebuild which includes pressure-testing, valve guide replacement, magnafluxing and refacing the valves would be in the $750 range. From browsing around on their website, I get the impression they focus their business on volume, not individual customer one-offs.

This leads me to a couple of questions: are there stiffer valve springs available for these DTs? If so, where can I buy them? Does this seem like a fair price for the work?

Are there any machine shops or guys with machine shops behind their houses anywhere on the West coast that specialize in heavy diesel performance mods? Or, even better, any in the Portland, OR area? From the Googling I've done, it seems all of the places I've found are in the Midwest and back East.

Last edited:

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with John, the manager at Carson Stauffer Diesel Performance. He says there really aren't any heavy diesel performance shops on the West Coast. I would really prefer to have the machine work done by someone in the know. And from everything I have read, Carson Stauffer is THE heavy diesel performace shop.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang I want an Ag balancer! :(

Give Steve Hines at Hines Equipmenat a call @ (800) 245-6227. That's where both Jon and I got our ag balancers.

If you want the cat's meow for a DT360 balancer, Google ATI harmonic balancers.

Last edited:

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I know a guy who has made a serpentine balancer for his dt360..... ;)

I read through the process swamp_ratt used to mill his balancer down for a serp belt on powerstrokearmy. That is pretty cool. ;Sweet

Last edited:

Coastal

Reaction score
I just read on another forum, another one of us dt360 guys found a factory dt466 damper that will work with a spacer, and its a serpentine. OEM parts ftw!

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally worked on the DT some more! :sly

Started out with this:
You must be registered for see images attach

Ended up with this:

Now it looks like this:

(drum roll, please)...

I didn't end up gaining as much room as I wanted, but it will work. I was hoping for a total gain of around 3.5". I did gain about 1.5" of space. I think I'm going to run Evans waterless coolant and dual Taurus fans (if I can make them fit).

I just read on another forum, another one of us dt360 guys found a factory dt466 damper that will work with a spacer, and its a serpentine. OEM parts ftw!

Whereabouts did you read that?

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Was that a water pump rebuild kit? Lol
Or did you just pull the pieces, measure, and just find stuff?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Coastal

Reaction score
I finally worked on the DT some more! :sly

Started out with this:

Ended up with this:

Now it looks like this:

(drum roll, please)...

I didn't end up losing quite as much length as I wanted, but it will work. I was hoping for a total length of around 3". Still, I gained about 1.5" of space. I think I'm going to run Evans waterless coolant and dual Taurus fans (if I can make them fit).

Whereabouts did you read that?

Rightabouts here
http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385193&page=2

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water pump rebuild kit from Commercial Water Pump Rebuilders in Houston, TX. http://www.waterpumpkit.com/

I searched around on Google, found 'em, called 'em up, and in about 10 days the kit was at my door. All they needed was the casting number on the housing. But there were a couple of different water pump seals that were used on these 360s: a one-piece and a two-piece. I wasn't sure which I had (even though I had already disassembled it), so they just sent me both. With shipping it was about $80. The only complaint I have is the o-ring they sent was the wrong size. I'm an impatient ******* at times and just reused the old one. Hopefully, this doesn't come back to bite me. The seal seats down on the o-ring, effectively sandwiching it between a flare on the front of the seal and the back of the housing. I'm pretty comfortable with this fix. If it decides to puke all of the coolant out in a short timeframe, I'll just have to figure something else out. I will definitely be keeping an eye on the weep hole for the first few thousand miles.

The machine work was $50. All told, a reasonable amount to get a shortened shaft water pump.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's pretty cool though. I never would've thought you could get a rebuild kit. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk