Building an E4OD for towing, need input.

Reaction score
We have a 96 F250 with a 351 and E4OD that I have been demanding a lot from lately. The transmission had a stock rebuild about 10 years ago and I believe it is giving me signs that it might have to be done again. The last time I was inside an E4OD it was behind my PowerStroke. I ended up turning it over to a professional builder who over built it. Not a bad thing by the way. This truck is a daily driver so I want it to behave as such. However, I want it to be able to take on the heavier loads and bigger hills it is dealing with now. Any input on this?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
In the towing section,,,,
I posted ... C-6 or e4od for durability, fuel economy
There was some talk of builders in there.
I went zf.

Reaction score
Ah, the towing section would have been a better place to look for this information. I have not done much with my trucks for a while so I have to re-learn my way around here.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Being a gasser tranny the first change is the gear sets. Steel carrier plant to replace the stock aluminum carriers. Stuff more frictions and steels in each drum. Machine work is required for this. Upgrade the center support with a Sonnax support ring. The center support has a habit of moving around under heavy loads.

A good shift kit TransGo Tugger or Sonnax sure Cure. The Tugger kit will give you two snap rings that should be changed out OD piston and coast clutch.

A bigger cooler 6.0 or Long TrueCool will do the job.

This list can become longer depending on what you want to spend on your rebuild. Over building is better in the long run.

Reaction score
I agree, I am trying to find a balance between how it is built now and how the E4OD behind my PowerStroke is built. I like your suggestions, I did not think of a couple of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online