7.3 idi NON turbo exhaust question!!

kcnicolle

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have a 1994 F350, 7.3 idi non-turbo, 4 door longbed, mostly stock. Recently I took out the muffler and simply cut a section of exhaust pipe to replace it, essentially a straight pipe. I've been riding it for a few months now and it sounds great at idle and up to around 2200 rpms...anything higher I get a metal raspy sound that is God awful...So, did a bit of research and found out that a high flow or free flow muffler may be my best bet? I'm looking for that deep diesel growl.

My question to you all is what would be the best muffler to use to get the best growl without the metal rasp at high rpms? Has anyone had really good luck with a certain brand of muffler? I heard Flowmaster is pretty good, maybe magnaflow.

Need suggestions please!! Thanks in advance!!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A resonator or straight through style oughta help. Magnaflow makes some round ones that work well and are easy on the wallet.

Parts store glasspacks may work too

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The old Flowmasters are the best, the new ones just don't sound as tough. It's not really that easy to just find them though.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure the part # but many on here like the Walker BTM (Big Truck Mauffler). Its straight through and gives a good sound.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can order the Walkers from most auto parts stores and save on the shipping cost. The parts store websites may not have good details on the sizes, but Walker's website has a good search feature.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21470 that's for the 3.5" size. It's what I have on mine and I like it.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a magnaflow muffler with a 3 inch exhaust system and got the raspy sound at high rpm like you are experiencing with yours. Personally not too fond of the crackling sound these engines tend to make under load. I now have a 4 inch straight pipe and it does sound much better. Currently using the ATS 088 turbo for the muffler and it's doing a fine job :sly. Got rid of most of the crackling. However, since your rig is N/A, I would recommend upgrading to a bigger diameter exhaust pipe (3.5+) and maybe go with a straight thru muffler of your choice.