2000 f-250 7.3 diesel

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
electric shift transfer case
I just got a call a friend of a friend has a transfer case jumping out of 4wd. Now I haven't looked at it yet so this is preliminary but he said he replaced the shift motor and it is still doing it. I have never deal with an electric shift transfer case before. I have had a 1356 apart and replaced shifter forks ,bearings, and pumps. Can someone point me in the right direction so when I look at it I have some idea as to what to look for. I have the 93 ford books that shows electrical trouble shooting but I don't know how much of that will apply to a 2000. Thanks.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the shift motor has been replaced maybe there is a vacuum problem at the hubs?

I believe with the ESOF system you can manually lock the hubs??

I have the old reliable floor shifter and manual hubs on my 99 so I can't be of any more help.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a scanner would be the way to go, i have the same 4wd set up, altho i still havnt gotten mine to work, the scanner tests all that crapola

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Now I remember why I bought this old IDI. NO COMPUTER. Except for cruise control which I still have not gotten to work after I had the motor out. Okay Ill get some more info on the truck thanks

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i believe my problem is hubs, i havnt done any work to this truck since i bought my first IDI lol

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first got my 99, the damn transfer case would jump into 4WD, you'd think that it was going to blow up. Put a switch on the motor. Found out the Gem module got water in it from a leaking windshield. Dealer wanted $450 plus $100 to program it. Fu*** that ****. It's behind the kick panel drivers side, 2001 they changed it to the pass side. Could be his Gem is screwing up. Those transfer cases got to be really strong as many times as mine kicked in and out.

Why do people spend a lot of money and not know what there doing, those motors can't be cheap. There should be a code if it is the Gem, you have to get into the Gem, not the PCM.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cut a hole in the floor and put a real shifter on that t-case, or just buy a manual-shift case. Electric t-case shift, even before the era of the GEM, seemed like a bad idea to me. Making it dependent on the GEM, that goes doubly so. Sorry, but driveline engagement is not something I would trust to a computer.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for me, i found a free transfer from a 99 F250 a buddy has.
i get to swap my electronic garbage to mechanical.

thats step 1!!
step 2, i need to purchase new hubs.
if im going to dig into this, i want all new parts ready to install!

whats the best way about deleting these factory vacuum hub garbage?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats the best way about deleting these factory vacuum hub garbage?
Don't Warn and Mile Maker make manual hubs for it? Just go to their web sites and look up by year/model, and then start looking for those part numbers on the various parts peddler sites, Rock, Amazon, etc.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother to change hubs, just lock and unlock them manually as needed. You can take the cartriage and clean it and put new O'ring on it if there hard to turn. I just keep a pair of pliers under the seat to turn them. The big yellow O'ring for vacuum goes to hell along with the vacuum hoses and fittings from the road salt. I don't think the Vac electric pump is used for anything else. Diesel O'rings has a write up DIY.

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/allube.php

Last edited: