idi vs psd question

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as I was driving my idi today after driving my psd I was surprised. The idi takes off so much better the torque on a take off or a quick stomp on the pedal is alot better. Just makes me wonder is the idi stronger or a better torque engine than the 7.3 psd??

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope. PSD's all around have more HP and torque.
but you cannot beat the reliability, simplicity, and cost of an IDI.
you can get your PSD to act the same way off the line, with some mods.

i still prefer the IDI over my PSD. but once i get SD interior into my IDI.... no need for my PSD.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
This is because of the injection method, and.... your 3 speed tranny :rotflmao. IDI engines tend to be "snappier" on the throttle. Thats what makes the ol' school 2 stroke diesels SO much fun :) The PSD's have more torque and horsepower for sure.... Unless your IDI is built up, then no.... haha

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having some fun in her tonight in a snow cover unplowed parking lot tonight! That snappy throttle is fun on ice and the snow ;Sweet

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah, it sure is! Snow? We ain't had JACK for snow this season, all the passes are almost dry! This summer is gonna be bad, the mountains have no snowpack, rivers round here will dry up, with the exception of the spring fed rivers.... I always loved driving up to the pass here during blizzard conditions. I can leave the driveway, 20 minutes later in a blizzard, once i have had my fun, drive another 20 min and its back to the rain :) ;Sweet

Black dawg

Reaction score
The idi IS more responsive, because it doesnt have a computer between your foot and the injectors.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
The idi IS more responsive, because it doesnt have a computer between your foot and the injectors.

Has nothing to do with anything. If anything, that can make the PSD MORE responsive and better off the line. The IDI is more responsive at low RPM's because it's designed as an N/A engine, so it gets it's full air/fuel mixture at any RPM's that it's operating at. The PSD is a full-fledged turbo engine, so it doesn't deliver full fuel until around 2000-2200 RPM's when the turbo starts kicking in.

Black dawg

Reaction score
lindstromjd;843461The PSD is a full-fledged turbo engine said:
This is where that computer between your foot and the injectors comes in. Guess I needed to be clearer. Ever notice how much a powerstroke will smoke when you jump on the throttle real quick.......if it is stock, it isnt anywhere near smoking.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PS is set up to burn clean. The computer unless modified with a chip or whatever will only give as much fuel as it can take. Your mechanical IDI dumps whatever your foot tells it to. Gear ratio will make a difference too.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
The PS is set up to burn clean. The computer unless modified with a chip or whatever will only give as much fuel as it can take. Your mechanical IDI dumps whatever your foot tells it to. Gear ratio will make a difference too.

^^^ Much better way of saying what I was trying to.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed the bottom end torque was much more stout on the IDI than my 6.4... but spool it up to 40 PSI and it was a 4 ton missile. Too much electronic stuff, even with all of the emissions stuff removed and an aggressive tune (for offroad use).

You have to pay to play with PSDs... or just run half a million miles with an IDI and keep your cash in your pocket. You can laugh your way past gas stations with WMO as well. Sold the 6.4 and got my 94 the next week, not a single regret.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a big difference in throttle response between a "cable-throttle" controlled vehicle and a "computer-throttle" controlled vehicle. Vehicles with a computer system activating the gas pedal seem to have somewhat of a lag when accelerating. It's only for a split second, but is noticeable.
A good example would be between my idi and 6.7 psd. If I stab the throttle on the idi, it is very responsive and rpms go up almost instantly. On the 6.7 psd, you stab the throttle in park, rpm's will go up, but not as rapidly and high. It's almost like the computer needs more time to process what just happened.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
All mechanical diesels regardless if they are N/A or turbo charged will be quicker off the line.

There is an inherent delay with anything computerized regardless if its diesel or gas or naturally aspirated or turbo charged.