innercooler piping.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with my aluminum welding abilities(or lack there of) being sub par,
i was thinking of making my innercooler piping out of 304 SS .065 wall.
i have a bit of this material floating around.
enough to do both tubes.
what do you guys think?

jay22day

Dunce
Reaction score
yeah why not! you can always use clamps and rubber couplings. very few people with these trucks run high enough boost to have to worry about one of those blowing off.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ill most likely using a 6.0 innercooler, i like the way it fits in greg's truck

and polishing stainless last longer than the polish on aluminum lol

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
IDIoit,

If you are going to use a 6.0 IC, try and get a hold of all the piping. It goes close to where you will need it. It is also fairly large. Not sure but it is at least 3"..... If you grab a CAC Pipe, it completely fills your hand. Plus it will have several boots on it, if you goto a P-N-P......

You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe not as close as I thought..... but could give you something to work from......

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats the reason i want to run stainless piping, i have a bunch of 3" on hand from the last exhaust job i did.
gonna take a bit of work, but to have it all ran exactly how i want it is the biggest factor.
ive seen some set ups where it looks good and some that look like it was made in china by a 8 year old in a sweat shop.

mine will be all TIG welded and polished.

ive done alot of custom work to this truck, its time for some trick S*** under the hood ;Sweet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
That is just a pic that I "borrowed" from the internet. I don't have anything fancy like that on my truck. It is actually 100% stock, except the FUMOTO Valve in the pan, and the EGR Cooler that "fell off" some time back........

I don't even have any extra gauges..... yet....... planning on at least a boost and pyro, or something like a CTS Monitor.... not putting a tuner on this one.......

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol... well what do you suggest for an IC?

something a bit more matched for our sized turbos;
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...winder-Into-9th-Gen-Truck&p=833458#post833458

this is extreme for showing my point;
seal up a 55 gallon drum and make a quarter sized hole and blow into the drum to pressurize it.
now take a gallon jug or 2 liter soda bottle and blow into it to pressurize it.

which one do you think is going to be easiest on ya and which could you pressurize first? obviously you couldn't even pressurize the far extreme of a 55 gallon drum in the first example and im not saying that 3" pipe and a massive 6.uh oh after cooler would be so extreme as that..........but if the gallon jug scenario was all you needed to keep your charged air cooled back down to close to ambient temps,wouldn't you then rather have the quick and snappy fast spooling,easier to pressurize system,rather than one that blocks off a lot of radiator and drops it's efficiency needlessly? do you really want to make your turbo work so hard as that?

if we could have our cake and eat it too,the turbo wouldn't heat up the air and we wouldn't need intercoolers,no matter how much fuel we added.but unfortunately that's exhaust spinning the wheel,which in turns spins the other and that heat gets transferred so the more fuel we add,the higher the levels get.....but to what extent does it take to properly cool it back down to where it was before the turbo warmed it up? does it take so much volume as 3" pipe and a 6.oh no cooler? i don't think so,or i would have pulled what i built and install that.i don't see over 900 EGT's very often.when i do,that's usually with the truck and dump trailer full of green wood @ WOT and max gross rating of the truck.

chip truck @ 14 lbs boost peaks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller