6.0 trouble

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
My buddy has a 04 6.0 6 speed. It's starts but when you hit the peddle it starts lopping and won't rev any more. Changed CPS. Unplugged chip. (Bulldog) working on getting a scanner. Just looking for ideas.

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt its the CPS, the 6.0 doesn't have issues with it like the 7.3 does.......

If you let off, will it return to idle or die?

Check Engine Light?

Could be ICP, when the ICP in mine started leaking, it would do all kinds of weird stuff. Surge, lope, idle and die, or running down it road it would be like you instantaneously stabbed the throttle and then it was fine. Ron changed it at the 2013 rally and its been good!!!!

Plugged fuel or air filter? Is the air filter light on, on the dash, or the filter minder pegged? How many miles on the Fuel, Air and Oil Filters? Oil at proper level, low or frothing oil will cause issues just like on your 7.3. Low enough = NO RUN!!

Blown boot? That would make it run bad, and smoke like a freight train......

Is it gelling up? It was cold last night and this morning?

Check the FICM voltages with the scanner (if so equipped) or use this procedure:
http://www.ficmfixer.com/testing.htm
If the voltages are not right, it is hard to start, dosen't want to run, timing is WAY late (smells like you kicked a kerosene heater and tripped the shutter) late.... and when it completely fails you are DRT (Dead Right There). When mine died (thanks to a battery and alternator issue) it would only put out 12 volts, period... needs to be 48.... used the ficmfixer service and all is good again. Much less that a "Ford Fix".

Get a scanner and see what codes, that would get you in the right direction.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Hate to say it..... scan it...... but you have a PSD, so you understand......

It still reminds me of my FICM failing......... take a look at it............

86ford69jw

redneck
Reaction score
I talked to him about going in on a scanner. Sounds like we're gunna work on it sat.

97 F250 HD auto 4x4
3.55s turning 16.6!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure the scanner will talk to a PSD...... The $50 buck Horrible Freight or Autozone will not work. The PDS's are not a normal OBD2, and have to specifically be able to talk to a PSD. I have been wanting to get an AutoEnginuity, but have not had the extra $400 for one.

Just wanted to give you a heads up!!!!!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
AutoEnginutiy software with the Ford bundle will set ya back $360 and worth every penny of it and wil cover every Ford Lincoln Mercury product thoroughly.

I've had it for 6 months now and LOVE it!

As Scott said, the ICP sensor failing will do some funky stuff and an easy check to that is to pull the connector off and see if it's oil saturated. The early 04's ICP sensor isn't the easiest to get to as it's at the back of the engine on top of the HPOP cover witht eh IPR valve. The later 04's and up relocated the ICP up to the passenger side valve cover.

And yes I did fix Scotts ICP sensor while camping with the OB gang as the peanut gallery. :D

A scan tool is a necessity when dealing with these animals. Some diagnostics once ya learn the beast can be done with multimeters but the best way is to let it talk to a scan tool to see what its doing since no CEL light is coming on, it's only throwing a soft code at this point.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A regular OBD II scanner is useless for these, you want to be able to monitor real time data. A ScanGuage II can be purchased at Advance Auto Parts for around $100. Look it up online, pay online & use the promo code TRT30 to get 30% off the purchase price then pick it up at the store. Program the PIDs for FICM voltage, ICP pressure and ICP %. Also, if it is a cab -n- chassis the fuel tank my be delaminating and plugging up your fuel system causing this, it happened to me. If it's a fuel problem get a handle on this quickly because if it is a fuel starvation issue you are beating the injectors up and they will come apart, usually with catastrophic results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online