Cooling Problem ...........

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started to you use my heat about two weeks ago 85 6.9 Truck heats up very fast I would say about 5 city blocks i can feel some warmth. If idling it warms up good in 10 min . Gauge is at the A in Normal lower hose cool to touch top hose Hard and Hot. So i replace Thermostat (motorcraft) , Radiator champion Aluminum has 16 lb cap , flushed and back flushed heater core , Freed the bleed ball, Fan spins freely, .Now i am still getting fast heat in cab, and gauge reading high after 10 -15 min of driving . From cold start she pushes water out slowly (cap off) If i press gas it sucks down let off of gas it comes up. and gauge reading warm , heat blowing warm Fluid in radiator is cold no air bubbles coming out and no circulation going on in radiator. If i put Cap on The top hose sucks in when i give it gas. I tested both thermostats and they opened in boiling water. What should i test try next?????
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how old is the pump?
id say get a gauge and not trust the ford temp.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could this be one of the cases of a radiator hose sucking closed? The bottom one I've read will do that without a part (I'll call it the 'internal spring'), but I have no personal experience. Someone else will have to say if this could cause your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say the top hose sucks in, do you mean coolant flows towards the engine via the top hose, or does it collapse under suction??

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If the lower hose is missing the internal spring, it will collapse.
But this is a whole entirely different problem.
His top hose is sucking closed, like there isn't enough flow through the thermostat.

Now instead of just seeing if they open in boiling water, check the actual temp they open.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure picked truck 6 months ago . Fan has no wobble to it . Truck has 200k .what about the quick in cab heat isn't that a sign something wrong ?
how old is the pump?
id say get a gauge and not trust the ford temp.

Last edited:

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could this be one of the cases of a radiator hose sucking closed? The bottom one I've read will do that without a part (I'll call it the 'internal spring'), but I have no personal experience. Someone else will have to say if this could cause your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bottom hose has spring it's just too cool..

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sniff the coolant when you crank it up, cold. sniff for exhaust or combustion traces. usually the beginning of a head gasket leak will let you know if you sniff the radiator for combustion smell.
from what I read you have a "new" radiator so if that is accurate then the engine has something it is not happy with.
Will it run all day? what will it do if you run it all day or a longer period of time?

Idiforlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sniff the coolant when you crank it up, cold. sniff for exhaust or combustion traces. usually the beginning of a head gasket leak will let you know if you sniff the radiator for combustion smell.
from what I read you have a "new" radiator so if that is accurate then the engine has something it is not happy with.
Will it run all day? what will it do if you run it all day or a longer period of time?
OK I will get someone to smell it for me my sinuses aren't to good . I Drove it to work today 15 miles one way 30 degrees outside . At 3 mile heat out of the vents were warm at 6 miles hot . I drove on the freeway 7 miles and the gauge was in the middle . When I got off driving though the city it was on the A in Normal . When I parked I checked the hose it was hot and hard. When I turned off the engine 6 am the top hose sucked flat and has stayed that way as of 12 pm lunch time. The radiator is newly installed 3 day's ago I didn't remove block plugs my extention broke trying . Do you think . Something is blocked near block plugs?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How high did you fill up the radiator? There needs to be a couple of inches of air near the top. This is important for when the coolant expands as it gets warm.

Your 13 pound cap should help too. If the cap won't let air in and out as the coolant expands and contracts, that's no good.
That cap that comes with the champions are junk btw.

Also, on my truck, in my experience. I have an aftermarket gauge, and still have the factory gauge in my truck. The factory gauge rarely is in the same place when the aftermarket gauge stays the same. If I am at 195 on my real gauge, the factory gauge may read anywhere from the n to the m.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online