1980 C60 Detroit 453 question?

coxman

Reaction score
I have recently acquired a 1980 chevy dump truck with a Detroit 453 in it. The engine starts fine however on the passenger side of the motor there is a tube leaking quite a bit of oil from it. It looks like a drain tube. From what ive read im certain it does not have proper oil in it. If I put 40 Weight will the leak slow or stop? Im thinking its the drain for the air system. The truck has set for several years and I am trying to get it back on the road. I have little experience with diesel engines any help would be appreciated.
Thank's

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are describing the crankcase breather tube.. maybe.. bring it a little closer to the computer so I can get a better look at it.. ;))

You have a Detroit 2 stroke diesel.. Detroit 2 strokes don't work like motorcycle two strokes you may be familiar with. I suggest you do a search and read up on how they work and why they dominated the Diesel market from 1930 until the EPA regulated them out of use.

4 53 means 4 cylinders in line, 53 cubic inches per cylinder. The two stroke Diesel Detroits require single weight oil, 40W or cold operation 30W, low ash content 3% or less, and the container needs to say it's formulated for Detroit 2 stroke engines.

If you are running multi weight oil, it does not have the viscosity to contain the oil as the pistons slide past the ports and it will pump oil out the block vent lines like mad.. or if the engine is getting tired.. it will pump oil out the vent lines.

Can't tell you which is your problem. I would start by putting the right oil in it and watch what happens. I suggest you make contact with your local Detroit service department. Not as many of the older 2 strokes are running now, but there are still guys that remember how to work on them and what parts they need.. Napa has Detroit proper oil, I just bought 9 gallons for my 8V92 powered motor home.