Rough idle cold, hard starts 95 7.3

jdawg9742

Reaction score
I have a 95 7.3 5 SPD manual. Here for the past three days when I start it it will run rough, stall stutter, and shake violently. It will do that for 15 minutes and then I will let it sit for 10 minutes and it will run great the rest of the day. It only does this cold but once warm its alright. I've tried the ICP being unplugged and it doesn't work. And the whole time there's a check engine light on even with everything plugged in. Any help is appreciated

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Need to see what the code is for.
Mine shakes like crazy. People always ask if it's cammed. Lol
But on cold starts you can get a big lope, but shouldn't last very long. Like this. Powerstroke cold start lope: http://youtu.be/ZC2O8bncR-g
You may be able to use a parts store code reader. Like the ones they use in store. They work on my brothers truck anyways.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
codes would help, here are a couple guesses:

1) UVCH or IDM problem from bad connections or failure - when it is started and running bad, disconnect one at a time the UVCH plugs and see if the truck stalls out or runs the same. If it stalls out or runs worse then you know that harness is good. If nothing changes then that harness is likely bad. You could also give a sniff at the oil cap and see if you smell burnt plastic indicating harness failure.

2) GPs or GPR - what is the ambient temperature when you are trying to start?