DIY Glowplug Tool

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this was my inspiration to make a glowplug tool... a flare nut wrench and a sparkplug socket... Beer helped too.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a new 1/4 drive 3/8" deep socket from Pep Boys. As you can see, it's nearly 2" long

Here's a glowplug sitting in it... looks like the thread hits the socket before the hex part bottoms out...

So after trimming off the excess socket (.46"), I ground in a large slot for the male bullet of the glowplug to fit through, like a flare nut wrench.

Closeup.

View of how the tool is barely long enough to engage the hex part of the glowplug.

I folded up a 1mm thick 10mm o-ring in the top part of the socket, where the ratchet connects. It grabs the glowplug, like a spark plug socket and holds it firmly. As you can see, I'm holding the tool in a ratchet and the plug stays put.

Here it is on #4 in a (dirty) 94 NA IDI, 1/4" stubby ratchet. Tons of room to loosen or tighten it, even up under the injector lines.

So there ya go... a compact tool that'll easily pop onto glowplugs without hitting the lines, is as short as possible for ratchet clearance, and positively holds the glowplug for easy retrieval/insertion.

This tool holds the glowplug just fine up to 35 ft/lbs of torque, which is nearly triple their spec.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question, what's the point of the clearances spot of the socket for the wire?
Wouldn't you disconnect the wire before you try to pull the GP?
I've changed the glow plugs once , but I had just swapped the 6.9 for a 7.3 and had it all taken apart.I'm not talkin trash, just curious

Very good call on the o ring to keep the GPin the socket.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question, what's the point of the clearances spot of the socket for the wire?

It allows the tool to slip over the male bullet electrical connector part of the glowplug, not the wire itself, while attached to the ratchet. For turbo apps and #4 on NA it decreases the clearances required to fit the socket into place, and allows more room for a U-joint, ratchet, crows foot, thumbwheel, etc.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah!! Now I get it. I was wondering the same thing. It's not like an oxygen sensor deal it's literally to make it slide over the top (bullet part) of the GP in less space. Be curious to see it in action.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhh! My glow plugs and harness are modified, so I don't have that connector

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah!! Now I get it. I was wondering the same thing. It's not like an oxygen sensor deal it's literally to make it slide over the top (bullet part) of the GP in less space. Be curious to see it in action.

Here it is on #4 in a (dirty) 94 NA IDI, 1/4" stubby ratchet. Tons of room to loosen or tighten it, even up under the injector lines.

I tweaked the wording on my previous posts to clarify that it fits over the male bullet on the glowplug, not the female harness connector.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the socket doesn't break from the twisting force spreading it apart, I'd say you have a wiener. They aren't usually too bad to break loose it might be just fine. I like it. ;Sweet

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm... I could vise a glowplug and see if it'll hold up to 100 ft lbs from a torque wrench...

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if not the next step would be to use an impact socket for the thicker wall.....not sure if that'd create clearance issues however.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An impact socket may work, if a 1/4 drive could be found. I'm pretty sure it'll hold up to a stress test tonight. I was really pleased that I could fit it directly on #4, which is the only real PITA on a 92 or 94 NA rig. The o-ring keeper makes reinstall super easy too.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Here is a new 1/4 drive 3/8" deep socket from Pep Boys. As you can see, it's nearly 2" long
why 3/8??

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the size that fits the glowplugs I have... fits beru, autolite, and some other brand I had from a scrapped motor.

10Mm is too big, 9mm doesnt fit on them...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Impact would be good. Probably better metalurgy on top of the thicker wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online