New rear tires for open diff 2wd F250 ?

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for new rear tires for my 96 F250 because the Yokohama Geolandar tires that I'm currently running (from the pre-owner) suck on light muddy terrain and even on gras. It just needs to be a bit wet and they start to spin "all day long" LOL
It doesn't help that the truck is only 2 WD and it looks like the diff is a open diff.

What would you recommend for a 2WD F250?

If I'm using the truck to get firewood I need to drive trough sometimes light muddy forest/country roads and now that is not really possible. Even on level ground - if I come to a stop and want to take off again they start to spin :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance.

farmiron

Reaction score
hello bf good rich mud terrain or super swampers will get you going ?if its off road get some heavy duty tire chains thats most likley youre best bet if youre tire is up against a small log you aint going no where without CHAINS ..did i metion TIRE CHAINS

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would recommend getting a locker or limited slip.
I've had success with my cooper discoverer at3's.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One important question would be what is actually available to you over there in Germany? Here in the States, there are MILLIONS of vehicles on the road with this range of tire sizes, so we have a fairly good selection. I know that over there, trucks this size are almost considered "Delivery Trucks", not a personal vehicle. That may help us, help you narrow it down, or are you going to buy them Stateside and have them shipped to Germany?

I know here on my truck, which is a 4x4 and has a LS rear diff, but the Firestone Transforce A/T's have worked out really well for me. So much so, when my first set wore out after ~7 years and 65,000 Miles (104,608 km) I bought an identical set. This is the first time I have ever bought the same set of tires twice. They performed so well for me on my truck (03 Excursion 4x4 6.0PSD), my Dad bought a set for his previous truck (97 Light Duty F-250 4x4 5.4 Triton, one of the 7 lug looked like a half ton truck). That truck still had those tires on it when he traded it in on his new truck, a 12 F-150 4x4 5.0. He has said, when this truck needs tires, it will get a set of Firestone Transforce A/T's also. That is a total of 3 sets for us, with the plan to buy more in the future.

Here is the tire I am talking about:

http://www.firestonetire.com/tires/transforce/transforce-at

When my new set is worn out, I will buy another set if they are still made.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say Cooper AT3 but not sure if those are available in Europe as they are a US company... If you actually want to get around in the woods with 2wd tire chains are the way to go.

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer the question: Almost all tires are available here too. If not they can be ordered. Buying in the US would be possible too.
Getting a locker isn't a option. I forgot to mention that. ...Well, maybe as a option in a couple years ;Sweet

Last edited:

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer the question: Almost all tires are available here too. If not they can be ordered. Buying in the US would be possible too.
Getting a locker isn't a option. I forgot to mention that. ...Well, maybe as a option in a couple years ;Sweet

Beside a traditional locker you can either install a "locker" like the Spartan or from other Companies in the same design: http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/SpartanLocker.aspx
1. These are cheap
2. don´t need to touch the Diff itself!
3. though you´ll have a "sound" with the clicking plates in turns

The traction on the rear at your pickup depends on the tire selection of course but also from the weight at the rear and a locker will help wonders. If you get MT´s at the rear this will help for sure. The Geolander are ATs, right? I don´t think there will be much of a difference in this regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online