Need Help in Ecuador

GringoRick

Reaction score
I am traveling South America, currently in Ecuador. My brakes are marginal (seems like a vacuum leak). the most likely culprit at the moment is the grommet around the brake booster check valve, and maybe the check valve itself. There are no Ford dealers here, and part shops cannot figure out if they can find these parts without a Ford Part Number.

Can anyone please tell me what the correct Part Numbers are for the Brake Booster Check Valve and the Rubber Grommet that seals it as it enters the booster?

1993 E350 Ambulance 7.3L IDI

Thanks a bunch for any help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 110

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would pull it off and check the check valve.
its a dirty job but blow through it and see if it holds air.
inspect the gromet for cracks, in my experience, if youre having a vacuum problem its most likely the booster itself.

GringoRick

Reaction score
ThanksIDIoit. The grommet is very cracked up and is obviosly leaking. I do not want to pull out the check valve becuase the grommet will dissintegrate and them I will be screwed. As of now, the brakes still work marginally. If I lose the grommet, they will not. The first thing I need to do is get a new grommet, but I need a part number, which I cannot find so far. From what I can see, it looks like the check valve and grommet come as a set.

Last edited:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I never physically compared they but if memory serves me correctly those check valves and grommets where the same on almost all ford trucks and cars especially the full size Ltd, Lincoln, Torino etc. So find a wrecking yard and compare them. And bring me back one of those old style ford pickups with a diesel in it, well at least send some pictures.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Lots of good ideas posted so far. sorry I have no part numbers for you but try this. Buy some RTV and really slop some completely around the cracks. Clean off as mush dirt as you can. Allow it to cure and test the peddle again. If its still a bad brake peddle then you have a bigger issue and its probablt the booster seals around the peddle sram. Nothing you can do then but replace the booster.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That check valve is a generic part. Only variation is the diameter of the hose fitting. Perhaps a general auto parts store will have it.

Is the brake pedal unusually stiff?

GringoRick

Reaction score
IronWorker - Unfortunately, there aint no wreckers to be found so far in Ecuador. I did see a bunch in Panam and Colombia though. I actually saw a similar junked ambulance to mine, but everything was running good so I kept cruising. I should of just hooked it up and towed it for parts along the journey. Here is a pic of an old Ford I am camped next to right now. Im not sure if these guys are ingenious or just crazy.

You must be registered for see images attach

GringoRick

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help so far. It looks like I will probably just have to gingerly try to pull the grommet out and bring it along to as many parts places as I can find. If it is a common part, then someone will be able to match it up, although there are not many older Fords down here on the road. If all else fails, the RTV is my backup plan.

KissTheSky - diesel is controlled at $1.03/gallon as of now. Too bad Ecuador is such a small country. I am putting as many cheap miles on as I can before going into Peru which is over $5/ gallon I am told.

MadPogue - the brake pedal fells fine unless I press it a few times in a row, then I lose vacuum and it gets really stiff with not much braking power. Sometimes first drive of the day, I have to do what I call Brake Yoga (give it gas and slam the brakes on a few times to loosen them up) or else they are super sensitive and want to stop way too fast with slight pedal pressure. Maybe I have a piston in a caliper sticking or something. But as long as I do my brake yoga, and dont press the pedal more than 3 times in a row, they work and feel fine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
With what you just posted about not using the brakes 3 times in a row tells me your loosing vacuum. May want to check all the vacuum lines and test the vacuum pump. You might have a bad leak or vacuum pump. The fuel price seemed great but the next country sounds like it will suck for fuel costs.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
If you can't find one let me know and I'll mail you one from autozone if you can find some address you can use. Icanfixall has a good idea with the silicone to isolate the problem

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow something as simple as a grommet causing you grief. Perhaps it's time to STOP, and do a complete and thorough inspection of the vehicle stem to stern side to side top to bottom and inspect each individual system. IE Brakes, Fuel, Vacuum, Heat/cool, Electrical, Driveline etc.Esentially take an inventory of what is what. Pick up the parts that are needed before you go any further. It would be prudent to have a ton of spare parts as I believe I mentioned previously in your alternator thread.Simple parts are often the worst for making hard to diagnose problems and in a location like you are it could be a life threatening part worth about 3 bucks, seriously is it worth that gamble?Take a thorough inventory...I'm guessing some spare things like Lift pump and IPSome injectorsreturn line caps O rings and lineFlexible Injector line...Mel sells em IIRCfuel filterS Alternator, and VRStarterVacuum pumpPowersteering pump and hosesPowersteering/trans cooler line and clampsBrake MC, wheel cylinders and maybe calipers or rebuild kits..Brake HOSES the rubber onesBrake shoes and pads Brake LINE steel line and some fittings for repair and double flare kitFAN CLUTCHbattery cables or a way to make em?FUSES beltsthe list can be and should be quite thorough for you.If your life could depend on it you had better have it and be able to use it and or repair it.Remember you are in a area where parts are nigh impossible to get so you say. Time to stop...get parts, then move on.JM2CWGood luck with your repair and your drive

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get real desparate, you might be able to use a piece of hose with about the right inner and outer diameter. It just needs to seal. Big dab of silicone might do it too.

Good luck on your travels. You are a brave man. I sure wouldn't do what you are doing. Working in the field will teach you to improvise. ;Sweet