What Makes an E4OD not move?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Quick backstory, had my engine out to do oil pan and decided just to freshen some stuff up while the works was out.

Staring at me was the stock torque converter, so I bought a billet cover triple disk converter. Along with that, I pulled the front pump and put in Transgo's springs in the pump. First time ever doing that. I tipped the front of the trans up but stupidly was still able to mess it up and the front (coast?) gear came out.

FORDF250HDXLT has gone through this before...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1168032-e40d-updated-converter-w-front-pump-mods-uh-oh.html

BUT, I got it all back to gether as far as I could tell, banded the pump, slid it it, and now have seated the converter and the engine is back installed.

I HAVE NO ACTIVITY FROM THE TRANSMISSION NOW :eek:cookoo:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Did I screw up royally?

I pulled a line from the (new) cooler and it did have fluid in it. Truck ran long enough to kick the cold idle off. I shifted through all the gears a few times.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh bummer! that was fun putting that back in wasn't it? :D hmm.did you put everything back in the pump correctly? i pulled that one before too lol.did you put enough atf in it?

Last edited:

jhenegh

Reaction score
Well I think I got the pump back together right but 1st timer so anything is possible.

I started eyeballing buying an updated F5 pump online as I'm kinda leaning towards me messing something up there.

Clutch-wise, everything went back in and the pump seated nicely so I'm making myself think I got that part done right...

jhenegh

Reaction score
I had possibly too much ATF in it as it came out the breather (or something) on the top of the trans... Put about 3 gallons in

Wondering if I didn't soak the solenoid pack internally/externally plug to the point of not working. I can hope for that right?

Pulled the drain plug on the trans before work today and it'll sit with the plug out all day. I'll clean up that solenoid pack connection tonight, carefully refill it, and pray that gets me E4OD activity.

Whats a good initial fill? Evidently I overshot that last time

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing electrical will affect going into reverse or low forward gear... it's purely hydraulic. Did you forget the input shaft, or not seat the converter correctly? That's about all I can think of...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Its mechanical. With the tranny overfilled it should still pump fluid.
Sounds like the converter didn't fully seat. Not a good sign. either way the tranny needs to be pulled for inspection.

jhenegh

Reaction score
Its mechanical. With the tranny overfilled it should still pump fluid.
Sounds like the converter didn't fully seat. Not a good sign. either way the tranny needs to be pulled for inspection.

Dang it. I know it clicked 3 times when I slid it on. Guess I'll learn how to drop an E4OD tonight.

I still have this feeling that I didn't get the pump together right. So it'd not be pumping for that reason

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pump does have a passage that feeds the converter directly... if that was misaligned or goobered, you'd have an empty converter. No fluid, no go at all.

Did you pre-fill the converter with a few quarts? I think the one I replaced took almost a gallon.

It's an outside, slim chance, but if your converter was bone dry on install, it will take some time to fill up.

jhenegh

Reaction score
The pump does have a passage that feeds the converter directly... if that was misaligned or goobered, you'd have an empty converter. No fluid, no go at all.

Did you pre-fill the converter with a few quarts? I think the one I replaced took almost a gallon.

It's an outside, slim chance, but if your converter was bone dry on install, it will take some time to fill up.

I did not pre-fill. I thought that it would pump full and go after 1-2 minutes. I've changed fluid before on converters with drain plugs and this is how they worked.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know exactly how long it would take to pump up, but if you have the proper pressure at the test port, obviously the pump is working. If the pump is working, then the converter should be seated right, as the cutouts on the snout of the converter are the last bits to engage (I think).

I'd test fluid pressure to verify pump operation before tearing into it.

jhenegh

Reaction score
I don't know exactly how long it would take to pump up, but if you have the proper pressure at the test port, obviously the pump is working. If the pump is working, then the converter should be seated right, as the cutouts on the snout of the converter are the last bits to engage (I think).

I'd test fluid pressure to verify pump operation before tearing into it.

Never done the pressure test but it looks simple enough. I've got my temp gauge in that port right now so i'll either make or find a gauge tonight and see what I've got.

jhenegh

Reaction score
Is it possible to get the coast and OD clutch in there incorrectly,but still have it give the appearance of being good to go?

Sorry for the line of questions... sitting at work on a Friday trying to brainstorm how I can fix this before Christmas leads to many questions popping in my head!

Thanks

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good question... not sure if the pump would even go on if they were improperly installed.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Is it possible to get the coast and OD clutch in there incorrectly,but still have it give the appearance of being good to go?

Sorry for the line of questions... sitting at work on a Friday trying to brainstorm how I can fix this before Christmas leads to many questions popping in my head!

Thanks

No. If the coast clutch is not fully seated the pump will not seat.

Pull the tranny and inspect it.

jhenegh

Reaction score
All is Good

Excellent suggestions guys. I have good news. It all works great right now! I need to adjust my FIPL back down. 1.2V-4.39 gets my shifts a bit too late to the point it doesn't want to shift out of 2nd and 3rd with "normal" driving cause I'm not giving it enough pedal ;Sweet If I get in it it shifts flawlessly. I think the new pump/injectors and other stuff I've done has gotten me a bit more oomph. Triple disk billet converter lockup is awesome and is indeed like another crisp shift. I'm digging it. I put on a stock 7.3 Powerstroke Super Duty cooler (those guys all go swap to the huge 6.0 coolers) on and I'm running about 80 degrees above ambient. It was 100 above ambient with my previous cooler so we made improvement there too.

Oh, you want to know what I did wrong to not have any front pump action?

I forgot to throw the filter back in.

I was all prepped to drop the trans. Drove 90 minutes to a trans store on friday afternoon to get a new front pump, went and bought a transmission jack, warned y girlfirend of the potentially impending mood/strain, and was picking up the garage around the truck when I saw the old E4OD pan (I put on a 4r100 pan w/ drain plug). In the old pan, there was the filter I was supposed to pop back up in there.

Slightly relieved but still on pins N needles, I took my trans pan back off, observed the lack of a filter, remedied that, re-installed pan and filled the trans back up, and from then on out I've been smiling.

Thank you again for the suggestions, I felt prepared to drop the trans and get after it. You guys (graciously) assumed I wasn't a moron and installed a filter so the pump could actually pickup the ATF. Poor assumption LOLLOL:rotflmao;Sweet

Luckly I figured this out before I pulled the trans. That would've been insult on top of injury:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online