Cummins swap?

Smokeyseventhree

Reaction score
Sooo I really want to do a cummins swap. I REALLY want a 98.5-02 24v but I found a 92 12v for $500 that needs the turbo and motor rebuilt. But is a cummins swap fairly easy? Is it really worth it? Should I wait and get a 24v or get a 12v? I know everyone loves 12v (I do) but I would like to chip it and do some good pulling with it.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a cummins in an 03 super duty a couple of years ago! I chose to go with the 12v, for simplicity, and cost efficiency! The swap could be done fairly cheap, (in hind site) if you have the complete donor truck to work with! My conversion cost me around 12 grand in parts alone when all was said and done! I could do it a lot cheaper, Knowing what I know now! If you have fabrication skills and basic metal working tools, (welder, torch, chop saw, or band saw) and a little bit of patience and sense of humor, the conversion is not terrible! As far as the good pulling, with a little cash the 12v can be pretty impressive! I think the adaptor for the zf5 would be somewhere around $800! The part that made my conversion more expensive was the Auto tranny, which required a stand alone controller! I loved the Power that truck dished out, and I was only around 400 horses! Like Ive said many times, I would be driving it today if the tranny would have been a standard! My only advise, is not to buy someones ragged out play truck, and spend a little extra coin on something that you know is not grenaded! As for 24v, whole other animal with wiring, Im not sure how difficult that would be! Whether or not its worth the effort: Depends on your intentions, and how much free time extra cash you have! Really liked mine, but I have since bought Two power strokes and one IDI! I am driving a 94 power stroke now and really enjoying it! If I had 13 grand to throw at this girl, I doubt I would ever miss the cummins! :dunno

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most swaps are easy, the hard part is being able to afford the engine and trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online