New member from NJ

e30bradley

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Eric. I have been a ford truck enthusiast as long as I've been into cars and may be purchasing a 6.9 diesel soon. In the past I've owned many gasser ford trucks and have been lurking on this forum a few years.

e30bradley

Reaction score
Well it's official, I'm towing home my first diesel tomorrow morning. 1987 f250 regular cab long bed. ZF5 4x4 6.9.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you put the transfer case in neutral, or disconnect the driveshaft. The ZF-5 CAN NOT be towed any distance in neutral (from the road into the ditch is ok, not home). The ZF-5 has a fluid pump that is driven by the input shaft (Engine Running). If you tow it in neutral, like the older transmissions, you will burn the bearings up in the transmission, because the output shaft will still be turning the internals, with lubrication. There were several tow truck drivers in 87/88 that learned a VERY EXPENSIVE lesson. Just want to let you know.

Congrats on the new truck, hope you get it running without much trouble.

e30bradley

Reaction score
I was planning to tow it with both the trans and transfer case in nuetral. The drive home is probably about 40 miles. Thanks for the tip anyway. I have not heard of a manual trans with an oil pump before.

e30bradley

Reaction score
Here it is. 1987 Ford F-250 4x4 ZF 5spd manual. I love this engine! It feels just like a 300 six to me.

Towing it with a friends F350 2wd 300ci l6 5spd
You must be registered for see images attach

got to do some work with it the first day. Dragged a new axle about 300 feet up a small hill for my friends Bronco.. Much easier than carrying it!

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Nice looking truck. Welcome to the forum. I'm just down the road from you in Old Bridge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Staff online