Sir Axlerod.

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was here once as "Clydesdale"... but can't remember my log in.

Built a 6.9 Centurion, sold it, left the forum, apparently God hates me, so it's back in my driveway....

And quite potentially getting stripped down to re-power my Land Rover with.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was here once as "Clydesdale"... but can't remember my log in.

Built a 6.9 Centurion, sold it, left the forum, apparently God hates me, so it's back in my driveway....

And quite potentially getting stripped down to re-power my Land Rover with.
Welcome back! I remember you from a few years ago...should I ask how the truck ended up back in your driveway? And, if you end up pulling the drivetrain for the Land Rover project, what color's the interior and what pieces may be available? :sly

and this was lay less ad based back in the day......

:(
One of the side-effects of new ownership, I'm afraid :( but, at least thes ite's still going ;Sweet

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Child suppport got a little ****-ish about their collection methods, had to take a real job.

Led me 8 hours North of Nampa to Kellogg, ID where I now sell cars for Dave Smith.

I ended up renting 150 yards (less than a cigarette walk) away from work, for three years, two houses both of which were 3 minutes walk.

Never drove it, I worked 10 hours + a day 5-6 days a week. Got to be more of a pain in the ass than it was worth. One of the lot attendants couldn't live with out it, and I was about ready to strip it down and SAS the 2005 Bourbon Z71 I had just purchased.

So I sold it to Dennis, as opposed to kill it.

The kid I sold it too, decided it was more of a project than it was worth, sold it, then reposessed it from the "new" owner. Offered it to me for the same $1200 I sold it for, the d60/70 combo was worth that too me, let alone the fact it runs and drives...

So I said okay.

Plus the Landy gets the same mpg the Cent did, when the Cent was a Big Block.... (actually, equal to the Cent when i was towing with the Centurion, less than it got as a drive-around with an EFI 460.......)

I don't do 10 mpg really well.

Leaning towards 4bt (really like the idea of the 4bd1t, but now that I sell Dodge GM (easy killer, Ford took Bailout monies too, Google), I have come to an absolute hatred of *** rides... When I see an American Flag on a Toyota, I wanna drag that fawk out of it, and pummel him, then learn him on the travesty of pearl harbor, and.. and.. and....

I digress....

Engine swap choices are:
5.3 LS (had a Bourbon with one, **** engines)
4bt
D24t
OM617
Buick 3800 Series II with a supercharger.

I own the 6.9..... and I hate throwing copious amounts of ca$h at a project.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine swap choices are:
5.3 LS (had a Bourbon with one, **** engines)
4bt
D24t
OM617
Buick 3800 Series II with a supercharger.

I own the 6.9..... and I hate throwing copious amounts of ca$h at a project.

Just for the record: this is one of the best lists of engine swap engines I've ever read ;Sweet

I'd go 6.9 in your Land Rover: it's period correct and an old Land Rover deserves IDI power. Save the 617 and LS motors for something newer (read more expensive).

And by the way: Welcome Back! It's funny how things circle back around sometimes, and I completely agree with you on the old OB comments, but this is still the best IDI forum on the planet. Hell, I hang out here and I don't even have an IDI anymore LOL

Post some pics of your Centurion before you blow it apart.

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rover is an 04. Unsure how period correct the 1986 6.9 is.
The trucks were first designed as an implement, and the thought of the binder motor powering my Landy, well it makes my Inner Gaelic Thistle Busting Plow Boy proud, lol.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go 6.9 in your Land Rover: it's period correct and an old Land Rover deserves IDI power. Save the 617 and LS motors for something newer (read more expensive).
Actually, you started seeing turbo 617's in production cars as early as 1978 with the first 300SD...I'm not sure when the 6.9l first started showing up in IH applications, but the 617 pre-dates the 6.9l being used in Ford applications by 5 years.

With that said...the 617 will outlive cockroaches, but for that application, it may not have as much power as you want...and the 6.9l would just plain be cool ;Sweet

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have come to an absolute hatred of *** rides... When I see an American Flag on a Toyota, I wanna drag that fawk out of it, and pummel him, then learn him on the travesty of pearl harbor, and.. and.. and.....

Good to know I'm not alone in finding 'support America' bumper stickers on foreign cars to be super hypocritical. That really made me laugh. Sorry I know this thread has moved on now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's my hang up.

With Gas plummeting, if it stabilizes, 14 mpg in a gasser is the same as 20 mpg in a dizzel...

I KNOW I can achieve 14 with the rover, tuned, shaved heads, cammed, and headered. (or with an LS under the hood)

I'm unsure if I can achieve 20 mpg in it with a 6.9. 2200 rpm cruise speed, 6,000 ish pounds.... N/A initially, I'm unsure if I'll see a consistent 20.

Then again, diesel has got to drop eventually, hell Gas has by $1.30 in the last two months.

I know I'm in "Moose territory here, and Agnem makes some fine shi..stuff; but....

http://idiperformance.com Swear to all things Brit, these guys weren't on the scene in '11 when i walked away from an IDI.

Not that I'm dropping $6000 to have a 400+ hp firebreathing monster, but the thought is cool.

Think their intake manifold is on my list, for sure.

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's a question.

You people with a Non OD manuel trans 3.54 geared 1983-? 1987? truck, running 235/85/16's, what's your approximate mpg at 65~, empty, not towing?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Around 17-18 mpg on mine. But it didn't last long with those tires. With 285's, at 60mph, I got a hand calculated tank of 19.7mpg, but I was trying hard to get that (slow as hell), but that was also on my commute which was 20 miles down 1500', 20 miles up 1500'

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't see them either. But it's because I use Tapatalk.
Also I believe supporting members don't see the ads.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Sir AxleRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have yet to pay for a website membership, but I may. This used to be a little more close knit forum... we'll see if I find that again here, I only check in every so often, as I am not doing anything witht he IDI, besides cussing it for being too broke to do anything with it.