1995 powerstroke code scanner what one works

farmiron

Reaction score
what do i need to buy?to connect the obd plug to a lap top ?

Last edited:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Two main options. One is AutoEnginuity (generally preferred by guys with a laptop, so probably what you want) and the other is a SnapOn MT2500 or SnapOn Solus.

The AE you have to buy the standard reading program, and then you have to get the Ford Enhanced package to include the diesels. A SnapOn you have to buy the reader, and whatever cartridges you need for your application. I'm not 100% sure how the SnapOn works because I have AE.

Bottom line is that the readers have to be diesel specific. Generic "code readers" won't work because the diesels speak a different language than a gas engine.

farmiron

Reaction score
hi thanks the ae scan not in the budget is the diesel spec reader specific to the 7.3 ?or 4 cyl too ?

farmiron

Reaction score
the problem with the truck is after starting the engine check eng lights up after 1 min then runs ok in limp mode and can be a challange to restart ,if stalls i shut off will start right up ?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
hi thanks the ae scan not in the budget is the diesel spec reader specific to the 7.3 ?or 4 cyl too ?

Cost is almost the exact same for the two different systems. The AE reader (with the appropriate "enhanced package") will read ANYTHING on the supported vehicle brand up to the year it is supported through. Mine is supported through '08, and to upgrade I would just have to pay $100 for factory support to send me a new hardware disc. The SnapOn reads whatever year the cartridge is good through, and whatever the secondary cartridge is programmed for.

As far as your problem, it's really hard to say. I gave up trying to diagnose Powerstrokes over the internet a long time ago. I plug my AE in at the slightest hint of anything going wrong, whether it's my imagination or not.

You can try your UVCH connections, pull the valve covers off and see if any of them look or smell burnt. Also, anything over 3000 miles on an oil change and these engines will just throw a hissy fit worse than a 2 year old when he doesn't get something he wants.

farmiron

Reaction score
ok i will check under the v cover i had a issue with one gasket a few yrs ago /oil change is due too thanks again

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If it comes down to you needing to replace a gasket or harness, I would recommend the Super Duty upgrade. I did it on my '94 and really like it. Only one connection on each bank of cylinders now. So just 2 connections instead of 8.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What you described sounds exactly like what happened when the IPR was failing in my brothers truck.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

farmiron

Reaction score
ok any idea what faild on the ipr ?hmm that is a duty cycle 12 volt controlled unit ,will emit code 155 or 546 sticking or grounded or open circut i shall remove it and confirm it is in working order thanks for the input with this issue

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well they can get grimmed up inside, or the solenoid can fail. Orings can fail, but that usually causes hot start problems.
Not a whole lot you can do by removing it and looking at it.
ICP sensor can cause similar issues, but you can unplug this one to test it. If the problem goes away, it's the sensor.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a piece of advice from someone who has already screwed this up.... twice.. oah wait, thrice.
if you decide to change your UVCH.
go to ford or IH for your gaskets and harness.
do not go to vato zone, orilies, or any other place.
their products SUCK. i got 10 months out of my last set.
wires were brittle, broke and had exposed wire.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it comes down to you needing to replace a gasket or harness, I would recommend the Super Duty upgrade. I did it on my '94 and really like it. Only one connection on each bank of cylinders now. So just 2 connections instead of 8.

are there 3 styles?
i know my 97 has 2 connectors per bank
and my 01 has 1.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8 would be correct if he's including the inside of the VC also.
and the new SD ones, the inside connector has been deleted, thank god