SCAN YOUR POWERSTROKE BEFORE POSTING!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not trying to be a richard!
but i have learned that with powerstrokes, 97-01 in my case.
now verified 94.5 to present....
that if you want an answer to whats going on with your truck.
we can help you play the guessing game. but a scanner will tell you exactly whats wrong.

you can spend your time and money replacing sensor after sensor,
or you can scan your truck and have it back on the road as quick and as cheap as possiable!!!!

i am in no way shape or form telling anyone what to do, as i am not an authoritive figgure.
im just tryin to help!

perhaps this should go into the sticky thread!!!!!:yell:

Last edited:

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
problem with scanning is most dont have one,
also dont want to look for one
rely on parts house to scan'
even with gassers people just want to throw parts at them.
but with a proper scanner you can get the info right and find the problem the first time.
hell with the psds I usually grab the scanner before I open the hood
we got a deal on a 6 oh because someone didnt want to take the time to fix it.
all it needed was a fuel filter, but backyard mech said hpop

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mabe we need to start up a scan registery for the PSD, like the timing reg in the IDI. Forum.
Most shops will scan your car for 40-80 bucks depending.
I'm purchasing a snapon scan tool manyana

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
True, and even though it's cheaper to buy AE, than to throw parts at it, for some (like me, but I also haven't had any tough problems with mine) the start up cost is too much.
Quite a few people also don't even own a laptop.

And there are registries on other forums. Most input it into Google maps, then you click a link and bam, see who's near you with it.
383748598272749 times easier than trying to search through a thread trying to find some poster near you.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but is this something other than just an obd 2 scanner?

I got a Bluetooth adapter plug for ~30 and a $4 app for my phone and its helped track down problems on numerous vehicles of both mine and friends. We look up the codes, diagnose from there as needed, then fix the problem. I can also monitor whatever systems the specific vehicle supports, such as monitoring the voltage of the maf and glow plugs in my 4.6 Vic to figure out which was intermittently failing. Just a thought if that's all you're talking about; although I have a feeling this might be something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scanning is definitely the best and easiest way to diagnose, I agree! I have diagnosed many problems VIA scan tools when involved in the powersports business as a tech! However, as we all know there are sometimes underlying issues that surface, and it is not always as easy as just a sensor! The reason I subscribed to this thread is because of the unbelievable knowledge you all have on these trucks! I appreciate that I can post on here and get a ball park of where to start with a particular problem! This is designed to be a resource for help, as many have experienced the same issues over and over again! I have owned 4 different diesel trucks in the last 2 years alone, and have a passion for working on them, and learning more about them! I understand that answering the same questions over and over for some of you guys is exhausting, but trust me, its appreciated!!!;Sweet There is a non stop flow of interest in the diesel industry, so understand that some folks are new to this, and some of the most basic problems to you all, are just not common topic to others! I sincerely appreciate all input I get from this site, as Im sure others do, It has helped me so much I can't even begin to thank you all enough!! I have been able to diagnose problems, with this combined knowledge here, that others were scratching their heads over for hours starring at a laptop!! So please understand that Im not attacking anyone here, just saying, this is a reliable resource, and thats what it should be used for! Thanks all, for years of help on making my Old Ford smoke!!!:hail

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I am using a 2006 gensis I alos use a otc 4000 enchanced that was last produced in 1999 they can be had for about 100 now
even an old snap on brick is reasonable in price now.
point is ya dont need a 10,000 scanner, but ya need something better than a 9.99 special

Last edited:

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's different. A bit more technical. Check it out. https://www.autoenginuity.com/products/oe-coverage-options/ford-family-ei01.html

I figure you're talking about torque pro? It can be used also, just not as in depth, and can't do as much on a obs.

And oh, a obd2 scanner won't even connect to my truck.

EngineLink cause its iPhone, but basically the same thing. And that makes sense. My little reader has been one of my most valuable tools on gassers cause I can do more than just get a code, I'm sure this works the same way. But different tools can do more for diesels I see (I'm sure they can for gassers too...). Thanks

Wow that tool looks perfect. I may need to upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

farmiron

Reaction score
hello so my question is have you scanned a 95 powerstroke ?and what is the exact method and tools used ?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of different scanners out there.
I spent 500 on this one. Used, my neighbor is a mechanic and upgraded his.
This scanner has been updated for most 81-2014 OBD1, and OBDII
EXCEPT Volvo, but I do t plan on working on those, now that I have 2 OBD II rigs, it will come in handy.
All you do is plug it in And follow the instructions
You must be registered for see images attach

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
There are a lot of different scanners out there.
I spent 500 on this one. Used, my neighbor is a mechanic and upgraded his.
This scanner has been updated for most 81-2014 OBD1, and OBDII
EXCEPT Volvo, but I do t plan on working on those, now that I have 2 OBD II rigs, it will come in handy.
All you do is plug it in And follow the instructions
You must be registered for see images attach

That's a pretty awesome setup for only $500. You stole that thing.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats why i couldnt pass it up!
i wont be eating lunch this week, but itll be well worth it!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I went to school with a guy that "works on trucks," he bought one of those. Same one I think.
Now get this, my brother and him were in the same grade and fairly good friends, he told my brother something like $125 just to do a diagnostic.
Chit, dealership will do it cheaper than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86