Fuel filter head

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to check your heaters now and then. Coating on mine is flaking. Found it today when re-sealing it. After filter so it's all is headed to the pump. Looks worse in person and my heater is broken. Junking the factory filter head the first chance I get.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm missing part of the heater element too.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you don't need that.just toss it and pipe plug the hole.

Last edited:

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tossing the whole filter head. But others may choose to keep theirs.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was doing something similar. It now has no heater at all and a nice 1/2 inch pipe plug tapped in the hole.

If you were going to get rid of it and go with a different filter set-up, what would you use?

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Buddies set up he pieced together at work for cost, I'd probably do something similar. I have a filter head laying around I got for $5 from our parts dept with a water sep that has a heater+water in fuel sensor I could run as a pre-filter other wise mine will look identical. I'm going to put it down on the frame rail. That filter head in the engine bay kinda gets in the way when doing a intake to the turbo.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only issues i see with your setup;
those green pumps don't last.bad reports all over the net.i tried one with same results.id recommend using the duralift.it's a very reliable unit with wide praises all over the net.many here on the forums and they don't cost a whole lot more.
the other issue is,if you get filter issues on the road,then your under the truck changing/frigging with it.of course it's in the middle of a rain or snow storm and or your off road and have to lay in the slush,wet,mud.
i'd really re-consider just plugging the heater hole and mounting a duralift right up by it.it's your truck.your call.good luck.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had one and sold it to another member here, not enough pump for any serious build any way. And I'm strictly talking filter heads in my case. Like my sig says, I have a 97 stroke that might go in so nothing I do is going to be IDI specific other then up keep to get me by till after winter.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 94 filter cap leaked out of every goddamnd orfice.
threw it in the parts bin for another day and installed the 6.9 cap.
problem fixed

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some one already junked it on my reg cab. Just use solid filters now.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Factory heater doesn't seem to do anything anyways.
But on the psd, it'll short out and blow the PCM maxi fuse. Lol
Damn engineers.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's specific to 7.3's, barely puts out anything, and likes to leak through the electrical connector opening.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Filter set up looks nice. Only other thing I'd suggest is not using thread tape. Get some Loctite thread sealant, I'd even get the stuff that's more fuel/oil resistant as you'll only do it once.

I completely agree with the "I like it on the frame rail until I have to work on it" but one solution is to put a splash guard or stainless/aluminum box around it just to keep the big chunks off of it. You could use a hinge on one end to make it super easy to inspect/remove, I'm a big fan of how the snowmobile folks make the drive belt guard, you could put a big pin on both ends and make it double hinged or easily removed.

In any case: nice filtration set up ;Sweet

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, not mine. I do use pipe dope. Filter heads are I think $20 ea, can't remember for sure on individual prices but the whole thing minus pump was under $80 total.
What I'm thinking Jasper is plumbing in a SD pump if I swing the stroke in and deleting the factory filter on it and lift pump. I have a high gph low psi pump and bypass reg laying around if I stay idi.

sassyrel

Reaction score
What I'm thinking Jasper is plumbing in a SD pump if I swing the stroke in and deleting the factory filter on it and lift pump. I have a high gph low psi pump and bypass reg .

drawing?? as im wanting to do this to my psd for other reasons.............