38 gal tank all thread/bolt failure? Stronger mounting?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Had a surprise the other day I discovered one of the pieces of all thread holding my 38 gal rear tank in had snapped just above the lower nut on the strap. When I did the 38 gal tank I used 3/8" all thread instead of 3/8" bolts that came with the kit (as others have done) so I could run straps right on the tank and then the skid plates just a nuts thickness away below the straps. The all thread between frame and strap has the sleeves that came with the 38 gal tank. Idea being to give the tank room to breathe and easy washout for any crud that would build up and rust out the tank.

Anyhow, I rigged it with a ratchet strap and eventually put some 3/8" all thread back. I'll have to make another sleeve though. Is there a stronger all thread than what's typically available at the hardware store? Should I just step it up to 1/2" or larger? Better solution? When this failed and the strap and skid plate were hanging way below a tank holding that much fuel... To say it would have been an extremely inconvenient time and place for me to have to deal with a major fuel spill and specifically tank failure would be the understatement of the century. Fortunately nobody was the wiser and I was able to move on and get it sorted a few miles down the road. Any ideas for a stronger or better mounting setup?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3/8" althread is usually grade 5.
better off welding 2 3/8" grade 8 bolts to somr 1/2 " bar stock

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm sure you could go to somewhere like fastenal and get higher grade all thread.
Or go on up to something like 5/8"

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my neck of the woods the all thread is typically grade 2 unless it says differently. my fastenal store does have higher grades iirc.

or yeah, just go bigger.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ typical hardware store all thread I've seen is grade 2. You can get harder stuff from places like McMaster Carr. Fastenal probably too.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Id step it up to 7/16" all thread or 7/16" bolts. I figure 1/2" would require drilling the frame out so id skip that option.

I like the option of welding a couple grade 8 bolts together as well. So long as you welded them up good that would be the strongest option other than getting a full length grade 8 bolt.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Had a surprise the other day I discovered one of the pieces of all thread holding my 38 gal rear tank in had snapped just above the lower nut on the strap. When I did the 38 gal tank I used 3/8" all thread instead of 3/8" bolts that came with the kit (as others have done) so I could run straps right on the tank and then the skid plates just a nuts thickness away below the straps. The all thread between frame and strap has the sleeves that came with the 38 gal tank. Idea being to give the tank room to breathe and easy washout for any crud that would build up and rust out the tank.

Anyhow, I rigged it with a ratchet strap and eventually put some 3/8" all thread back. I'll have to make another sleeve though. Is there a stronger all thread than what's typically available at the hardware store? Should I just step it up to 1/2" or larger? Better solution? When this failed and the strap and skid plate were hanging way below a tank holding that much fuel... To say it would have been an extremely inconvenient time and place for me to have to deal with a major fuel spill and specifically tank failure would be the understatement of the century. Fortunately nobody was the wiser and I was able to move on and get it sorted a few miles down the road. Any ideas for a stronger or better mounting setup?

fastenal,,or another place like it,,can get both gr 5, and gr 8 all thread.......standard hdwr store is gr2...........

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must have some sway or side to side movement as you are going down the road. Most all thread is made to be under tension for hanging stuff. It bends and breaks very easy if it has a bending force on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.