cam position

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got done taking off my mechanical fuel pump and was going to put on my new one. Was hoping someone could tell me if the picture attached below is the right caM position that I am looking for

You must be registered for see images attach

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Put that dude back in there. Should go in easily.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the front one in first. Not all the way tight, then try to get in the rear one that is a little harder to get to. Don't forget the gasket/ sealer on there!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i use a 13 mm short socket, a swivl and a 6" extention,
personally, i always do the back one first, use my finger tips to get 1-2 threads in, do the othr one the same and then tighten both.
i used just a gasket last time no sealer, and it leaked.
use both

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Great pic of the machined area we refer to when using a big block plate to cover the hole when an electric pump is used. Some of the chevy plates are a little too tall and they hang up on the top machined lip. then you have a huge oil leak. A gasket and RTV seals but be sure your not hanging up on the lip.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ This happened to me. Nothing more annoying than having to do something over again because of something stupid like this.

I believe the Spectra block-off plate is the one that worked for me.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to be replacing it with another mechanical palm just to get me through snow plowing season and to see how the truck does. So with the position that it is and I would just make sure the on goes under the cam and slip it in and bowl everything back in right? Sorry to ask so many questions just have never done this before

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put sealer on both sides of the gasket. I then stick the gasket to the pump. Then put one bolt all the way through the pump and gasket. Then put the pump up to the mounting position and start the first bolt, whichever one is easier to get fingers on. Your cam is in position where it will go right in with no worries about arm position.

Get that first bolt finger tight, then, making sure the gasket is still in place, put in the other bolt finger tight. After all is finger tight, get out your sockets and tighten it down. Permatex sealer will squeeze out. That is good. Now, hook up your fuel lines and see how you did!

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you guys I got the mechanical pump in. Now my next question is the previous owner had a small electric pump for priming that shut off with the glow plugs I noticed that it is leaking now I guess from me moving the lines around it is very rusted should I do away with the electric pump for priming and just use the mechanical or should I replace the electric for priming?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.