Cruise Control issue

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've had an issue with my cruise for a while. It comes on and it sets. As soon as it tries to accelerate itself to maintain speed it kicks out. I got to thinking is it possible that a sticky throttle cable would do this or is it a problem with the actuator?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could be multiple things.
Abs light on?
Speedo jumpy?
Try disassembling the horn pad and clean the contacts.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The buttons work fine. It comes on and it sets. If you try to accelerate it with the buttons or if it tries on its own it just kicks off.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sits there for a few seconds doesn't it? Part of the cruise brain has a circuit that if there is too much difference between the road speed and the set speed, it gives up and kicks out. If you try to move the set point too far to quickly, it will probably kick out. And like you said, if you have a problem where the throttle is not moving correctly and the truck is not responding by the speed increasing, it will kick out.

I notice it mostly when pulling a load and hitting a mountain. As the truck goes slower and slower, the cruise will finally kick out when the truck's road speed is too far away from where I had it set at.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sits there for a few seconds doesn't it? Part of the cruise brain has a circuit that if there is too much difference between the road speed and the set speed, it gives up and kicks out. If you try to move the set point too far to quickly, it will probably kick out. And like you said, if you have a problem where the throttle is not moving correctly and the truck is not responding by the speed increasing, it will kick out.

I notice it mostly when pulling a load and hitting a mountain. As the truck goes slower and slower, the cruise will finally kick out when the truck's road speed is too far away from where I had it set at.

That is the best explanation of what it's doing. It's doing it to the point that it won't maintain speed at all so really my cruise is useless. Really don't want to buy a new module unless I know for a fact that is what is wrong.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may need to find the adjustment specs(if there are any) on the cruise linkage. If the servo and the cable are not in the correct range, maybe you are running out of travel on the system. I haven't messed with the one on my truck much, I don't know if you could go out and with the engine off, manually pull the servo back and see if it's able to open the throttle up to the max position.