Turbo Option Opinions

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Alright, so I am pretty set on getting a turbo kit for my truck. I have done a lot of research on the Banks Sidewinder Kit and Hypermax Kit. I am leaning more towards the Banks Kit because I know banks, and it seems to have a bit better quality to it. What would you install on your truck? Banks or Hypermax? :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I like the Banks wastegated sidewinder but nothing wrong with the other 2 turbo builders. Banks is about 25 miles from my home and shop so its not an issue getting there daily if I wanted too. ARP is about 75 miles from my place too. Personally I do not care for how some of the up and down pipes fit the other turbos.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah, Banks has an awesome reputation and they earned it ya know? I will most likely end up going with the Banks, I just know nothing about the hypermax kit, really no reputation on it, and I DON'T feel like experimenting, they ain't cheap! Think I should do head gaskets and studs before I do the install?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
banks on both my heavy haulers.the quick snappy spool is perfect for my rural stop/go work duties.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks may have more of a reputation, but I've never heard anything really bad about hypermax.

I'd say that either one should work fine.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I've heard it is a pain and/or nearly impossible to find rebuild parts for the turbocharger used in the waste gated Banks kits. I have no idea but it's worth looking into at this point in the search.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best to answer some question bout your engine before commenting bout head gaskets and studs. I ran my 89 engine with around 90,000 miles on it non turbo. Then Bank installed my sidewinder for me. I did not feel way back then I could do it correctly. But after that I ran that engine turboed for another 200,000 + miles with no issues. I did have cavitation on a cylinder but I was still running the passenger side head gasket when I removed that engine with nearly 350,000 miles on it. Boosting up to 13 lbs on a stock 89 head gasket. I was hauling heavy to Canada and Oklahoma City to horse shows too. Never had and real issues. So its what and how you run it. Adding new head gaskets and studs is a good idea but its not as do or fail thing either. Its very good insurance that things wont go bad later on. BTW the shop that repaired the cavitation would not replace the passenger side head gasket no matter how many times I told them to do it. That was Dieseltune of Downey Ca. I'm sure Mike felt they would see me back later to remove that head gasket and gig me for more labor costs.. Well mike that never happened did it...

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
head studs would be throwing your $ away with this kit.not required (there are many reports like Gary's above with extreme high miles,even surpassing the life expectancy of the engine/300k with oem head bolts.) if you want the boost levels that would require studs on the 7.3l then you want a larger/higher boosting turbo imho.

this threads remind me,i need to make a devoted install thread for the tech article here.
edit; there it is.hopefully someone moves it to the tech article.it's a year late but better late than never lmao.
that'll help ya install the banks kit if you decide to go that route.ok game time...lets go pats!;Sweet

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PARTS or support..BANKS are not rebuildable as far as i know....or heard...

I've a complete 088 Kit going up for sale soon ;) maybe :sly

How about a new Moose kit?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PARTS or support..BANKS are not rebuildable as far as i know....or heard...

I've a complete 088 Kit going up for sale soon ;) maybe :sly

How about a new Moose kit?

The banks is rebuildable, I had it done. And banks still supports every part, including the turbo, but of course they only sell it as a unit.

That said, internal turbo parts are extremely difficult to come by. Mine took an extra month and a half just working to obtain a new compressor wheel. They are out there, but not common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My sidewinder kit has a Mitsubishi turbo. Pretty good turbo so far. From what I understand, the parts are out there, but banks is using a hybrid between several Mitsubishi turbos in this kit. The banks PN is te06h. And they won't tell you what parts are in it...but it can be rebuilt with some time and effort sourcing parts.

All that said, when mine dies out, I am probaby going to get a moose boost turbo and adapt it to my up and down pipes.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly part of whats posted bout the Banks not selling turbo internal parts is true. The sidewinder is a Mitsubishi turbo. Calling them direct in japan wont work because they will not look up part numbers for you. Mine needed a shaft and hot side wheel. BTW those are a one piece shaft and wheel too. They have no idea how to sell us parts nor will they look it up.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
The more video's I have watched and the more research I have done.... I am starting to somewhat lean towards Hypermax, not sure how I feel about a Mitsubishi turbo in my american classic haha!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh boy.your gunna like this then.
chip truck was built in Canada not US.she sports an oem Mitsubishi starter.OEM glow plugs from Germany.OEM fuel injectors from Italy......and now sadly,half if not more of her parts have been replaced by now,with parts more than likely built in...........China.:(
iirc the turbo may actually be built in US too cus i think it's the heavy industries division......but no matter.it wont help the rest of the stuff on the truck lol.

Last edited:

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
AHHHHHH! That reminds me.... My starter said Mitsubishi on it as well :/ Well, I am liking this Hypermax kit more and more. It has pretty good reviews actually, and parts are available. It's going to be a while before I can buy a turbo kit anyway, other things like buying some property is more important but Who knows, maybe the turbo will be bought sooner then later :D I am getting all the facts for the time being.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88