2000 stroker is dead

NHBaler

Reaction score
This 2000 7.3 powerstroke was running good and then started missing and now it will not start turns over fine at one time we finally got it cranked on eather now it wont the tach isnt working so I replaced the camsensor with 2 different ones and still no tach and still no start,does this have a electric fuel pump in the tank? I think I can hear it running can someone help me with this? Had a mechanic put it on the computor but he said it wouldnt read right unless it is running. HELP!!!!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no pump in ful tank.
electric inline lift pump. under drivers side frame rail.
is there fuel in the ful bowl?

NHBaler

Reaction score
Thanks I will check that tomorrow had trouble getting the plastic cap off of fuel filter but I will get it off that is what you are calling the fuel bowl? What about the tach they say if it doesnt work that it is the camsensor but I am not for sure that the tach was not working before because I dont drive this truck. Could it be a wiring problem some where that is causing all of this? Thanks again

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If a new cam position sensor didn't fix the issue, then check your under-hood fuses. The PCM not working will also cause a no-tach-reading and no-start issue.

NHBaler

Reaction score
OK thanks but what and where is the PCM? I hate to ask a stupid question but I don't know much about these engines,I am more experienced with the 6.9

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Check the fuses. Specifically the under hood maxi fuses. It's common for the fuel heater to short out blowing the PCM fuse.
PCM location is unimportant at this point.
Cheap code readers won't work on these engines.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
PCM is the powertrain control module. Fancy way of saying "computer". Powerstrokes have two computers, one to drive the transmission and entire drivetrain, and the other, the IDM or injector drive module, to fire the injectors and make the engine run. IDM gets it's power signal from the PCM, so if the PCM isn't working, nothing related to the drivetrain on the truck will run or work.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the fuses under the dash, I believe it's #22 a 30 amp fuse, the fuel heater short will blow that fuse, that supplies power to the PCM also. Fuse is the lower bottom right corner. If it's blowing that fuse, disconnect the heater at the fuel bowl.

Don't remember which pic might resemble your truck, but match em up.

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 7.3 PSD Sensors & lines.jpg
    7.3 PSD Sensors & lines.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 21

NHBaler

Reaction score
OK I have checked all fuses under dash and under hood with a test light and they are all good except for a few that had no power at either end took the filter out and it is getting plenty of fuel batteries are good spinning over good with a battery charger hooked to it will not hit even with a little starter fluid. That sensor on driver side behind alternator has oil in it and I blowed out the connection got it clean and still no start. Do I need to get the air out of it some how?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That is the ICP sensor. You can leave it unplugged.
Until you get it to register on the tachometer while cranking, it's not gonna start.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

NHBaler

Reaction score
OK checked all the fuses again and still nothing and no smoke at the exhaust and no tach reading

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Tach reading. Check the wires to the CPS (CAM Sensor) pin corrosion, bare wire. Check wire harness where it passes over the drivers side valve cover, the underside will chafe and get bare and short out, have to unplug it and look at under side. Did you check the under dash fuses with the key on, you have to do that, or actually pull out that fuse I mentioned above. Do you have a manual for the truck? I think there is a PCM relay under hood.

NHBaler

Reaction score
No I dont have a manual for the truck,the fuses under the dash I did check with the key on and there is not a fuse on the lower right corner or any kind of wires to that plug. I will go check the wiring harness like you said and unplug the ICP sensor also I will change out the relays with another truck here that is running one by one. I do appreciate your time and effort on helping me, these strokers are new to me.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to verify, does the 99+ SuperDuty 7.3 Trucks register on the tach? I know on the 94.5+ OBS PSD's register, but do the SuperDuty's? My 03 6.0 PSD does not show anything on the tach until it starts. Just want to make sure it should be moving. I've only driven an OBS PSD and my PSD, not a 7.3 PSD in a SuperDuty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01