Stuck glowplug

lemonsalfetta

Reaction score
I recently bought a '95 F350 with a Powerstroke. The prior owner had started to pull it apart as he was going to part it out. I bought the truck complete and am in the process of putting it back together. He had pulled the four injectors on the left bank. I bought new o-rings for the injectors and re-installed them. When I tested the the glow plugs three on the left bank were inoperative. When I unscrewed the the rear one the threaded section and top came out but the part that glows is stuck in the glow plug bore. I can get a pair of Vice-grips on it but I can't get it to move. Anybody ever come across this before? I'm hoping not to have to pull the head will if that is the only way.

Thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm quite sure carbon has it stuck, could be swelled also. Keep soaking it with Kroil if you can get it, or anything similar. If it's carbon, might take a couple of days soaking. If it's swelled, spinning and pulling might get it out.

sassyrel

Reaction score
heres how,,after two ford dealers,,and few mechs there told me impossible..........................................yeah...........fill the hole,,full of kroil,,and let set,,i let set for 5 days!! THEN, get a pin punch,,a bit larger than the center section. now listen carefully...you have just about 3/8 inch you can drive it DOWN, before it may fall in the head. so take it easy,,and use a dial caliper to tell you how much youve moved it................mine started to get tooooo easy close to 3/8, and I quit. then take the needle nose,,grab it,,and try to spin it back and forth, trying to pull up at the same time.......after about 4 or 5 back and forths,,mine came up and out........THEN, find the right drill bit,,to drill all the rest of the carbon out. dont rem what I used, I just kept stepping up the sizes,,till I knew it was going to drill metal...THEN. I put a copious amount of never seize in the hole,,and screwed the new gp in. I started the truck after just one gp,,and it wants to overrun a bit................................I then did this, to all the rest on that side, and went to the other side,,and did the same....if it ever needs new ones again,welll.........................................................

sassyrel

Reaction score
lemon,,you read it??????????????????????????????????????????????????

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like good advice....could you pull the injector on that cylinder to confirm TDC and that way the remaining part of the GP would hit the piston top and not fall as far? Or would it be too far in the head by then even at TDC?

sassyrel

Reaction score
sounds like good advice....could you pull the injector on that cylinder to confirm TDC and that way the remaining part of the GP would hit the piston top and not fall as far? Or would it be too far in the head by then even at TDC?

I didn't give one hoot about where the piston was...... if that puke fell thru,,i was going to have to remove the head, couldnt get In the shop,and it was already cold outside...NOT on my list of things to do,, and it was my only truck to drive then. I got the 94 hairdryer together this year.......YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lemonsalfetta

Reaction score
Found this video on youtube before I had any response here. Worked like a charm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPQLgPk5Mdg

After about 3 minutes of this the glow plug came right out.
After that we cranked the motor over to clear the cylinders of oil, screwed the new glow plugs in, put the valve covers on and connected every back together. Tried to start it. No joy. After much messing around we determined being five quarts low on oil was a problem and that it is the lift pump that is dying. Much cheaper then the HPOP which is what the former owner told me was the problem.

sassyrel

Reaction score
lemon,that be good.. my prob was a might larger,, as I burn wvo, and that stuff was burnt HARD around the gp..........light taps,,did NOT break mine loose. I had to keep increasing the hit force till it moved......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online