08 F250 5.4l problems

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the only Ford forum I lurk on so you get the privilege of helping me w/ my dads truck.

He has owned his 08 F250 5.4l Auto Trans 4x4 single cab long bed since new. It has had its balls (what little it had) worked off of it. Currently has 189k miles. Has had new coils recently and anything else the ford house deemed mechanically necessary replaced. Oil changes just happen when ever but it doesn't use oil.

So the problem: After pulling a decent load and coming to a stop the whole truck will start shaking and the engine gets a nasty lope but no "knock". If you rev the engine to 1500 rpm and it will even up.

If I get on it hard w/o a load it won't have an issue, it also never does it going down the road.

My thoughts are crank balancer and/or fly wheel. Any help would be appreciated.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a check engine light? Would need the code. Could simply be egr stuck open. That made my 4.6 sound like a muscle car lope at idle, ran fine off idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No light. It feels way to rough to be a simple egr but I'm a Chevy guy. It feels like the truck is moving a good 3" not just the motor, it splashed my coffee in the cup holder.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well simple solution doesn't seem likely. I'm sure someone will chime in on the other possibilities who knows more than me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well dad called and it threw a rod yesterday....

Any idea if the cab has to come off to do an engine swap? We are looking for a low mile JY engine or something

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk, it had been knocking (sounded like a top end knock to me) for along time on top of the bad shake after a pull.

I plan to at least pull the heads and pan just for chits and giggles, need to see carnage! Haha

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Always haha
Father in law has a 96 4.6 that lost the follower. To me it's a rocker, but whatever.
Anyways it acted like that.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
08? Cab has to be pulled to get at the heads, or pull the engine out. Downside of that generation...

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I figured.

So the engine in the truck is variable timing equipped 3v what are my chances of dropping a 2v non variable engine in and getting an SCT tune to make it work?

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow first off sounded like the camshaft fazers but then I read it slung a rod....wow. That a problem with the 3 valve engines...its the plugs breaking in the head or the fazers going out....you can pull the cab or pull the front core support and it comes out that way. Pulling the cab is easier than you think... if you change the computer it might work with the 2v motor...

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be clear I'm talking 08 Vin 5 swapping to 08 Vin L.

Yeah dad said it started knocking more than normal while pulling a decent 1/2 mile hill (yeah it was that bad lol), looked down and saw no oil psi, got to the top of the hill (gaurd rails all the way up) and pulled over at the top and heard a big bang that locked it up.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm getting less enthused about the Vin L swap due to possible tuning and issues. After some reading I have decided that we will wait for a Vin 5 and do a phaser lock out out and tune.

The knock it had was a failed phaser and likely had something to do w/ engine locking up. Likely valve to piston clearance issue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online