6.5 turbo w/mechanical injection

Csm Davis

Reaction score
What kind of horsepower and torque can I expect to see out of one of these with a little work? 250-300 hp? Want a motor to tow and play with but no computer. Will be a fresh rebuild and willing to to do some internal parts to help with longevity.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
realistically 200-215hp. anything higher you are dreaming real hard. even at that level, you need to be putting in a pyro before you do anything else.

Csm Davis

Reaction score
realistically 200-215hp. anything higher you are dreaming real hard. even at that level, you need to be putting in a pyro before you do anything else.
Sorry bud but 215 hp and 440 ft/lbs was a stock level for 3500s. So got to be able to get more than that.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry bud but 215 hp and 440 ft/lbs was a stock level for 3500s. So got to be able to get more than that.

That may be at the crank and not at the wheels. I really don't know myself, and also consider it is an older engine so it wont have the hp and torque like it did new. You can probably do a little work to it and get more but I don't think it would be much more without having to spend allot of money on it. The old mechanical engines are great for reliability but for power you really cant beat the computer controlled engines. Its cheap to buy a programmer and makes allot of power by pushing a button.

Csm Davis

Reaction score
That may be at the crank and not at the wheels. I really don't know myself, and also consider it is an older engine so it wont have the hp and torque like it did new. You can probably do a little work to it and get more but I don't think it would be much more without having to spend allot of money on it. The old mechanical engines are great for reliability but for power you really cant beat the computer controlled engines. Its cheap to buy a programmer and makes allot of power by pushing a button.
Yeah that's at the crankshaft and don't want a hotrod but just a good solid runner. I have many diesel trucks, around 25 or so, and a degree in Heavy equipment repair and maintenance. I just like the older mechanical injection systems. Yes I could go buy way more horsepower but not what I want. What I do know is that I have 25 year old mechanical injection trucks that fire and run almost as good as when new but the electronic injection systems won't hold up to the test of time as well because of the plastic built into the systems and the electronic parts don't last well enough to swing me over, I have a 300,000 mile 7.3 and not throwing it away but don't believe it will stand the test of time.

Csm Davis

Reaction score
Here's what I want to build.
6.5 Navistar block
Good set of pistons?
What rods?
Forged custom crank
Maybe custom cam?
Best heads I can get?
Think maybe IDI 7.3 TURBO
and injection pump?
Marine injectors?
What intake?
3000 rpm max
250-300 hp will be plenty

Things with question mark by them are what I want to discuss and see what is out there. This may cost $15000 but it should live longer than me.

Last edited:

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure there is one out there somewhere. I cant say myself but keep researching and you will find something. There is always someone who takes it to the next level just have to find them.

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your limited by the mechanical pump. They have a 4 plunger pump out there that flows some fuel. Compression will need to be lowered and studs. New heads that are the hd heads, thicker. Good free flowing exhaust. Intercooler and possibly **** injection. A good none restricted turbo, not a 7.3 turbo. Marine injectors are a gimmick unless they are set to the high pop pressure but most aren't. They do have a custom cam out there for a 6.5. You don't need a custom crank, maybe a scat crank but what you do need is a fluid damper. I can go on and on but will stop here. You can get 300hp look at Peninsular Diesel they sell a 300hp marine 6.5.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://leroydiesel.com/products/amg-optimizer-long-block/

The optimizer 6500 is plenty stout for a build. It will hold 300hp at the wheels just fine.

IMO:

Navistar/GEP 6500
Head studs
A Team Turbo (shop on Leroydiesel)
Conestoga Bull Moose (there is at least one on thetruckstop.us)
OEM reman injectors set at 2200psi (Conestoga)
00 model water pump
00 model fan clutch and dmax fan
Walbo FRB5 fuel pump
4" diamond eye
X2 on the Fluid damper

Most of these mods can be found at Leroydiesel

After that there a few trans mods that could help you out.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not saying anything bad about this site but you will find more 6.5 info on thetruckstop.us.

There is a guy running a bull moose on a 93 6.5 5speed w/ a team turbo. Mel timed it yesterday, not sure if he went for a ride in it.

Look for Big T in the area project central.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online