Need advice

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been on other forums for my truck but no one knows anything. So I figured I would ask the pros. Everyone helped from oilburners when I had my diesel( I hate myself for selling her!!!)
I picked up a 99 Ram 1500 cheap and now I know why :) Anyways the tranny is not shifting properly What A Surprise! Will not upshift to third. I noticed something strange. With the back end in the air I would put it in drive then into neutral, apply brake and let off the wheels start spinning when in neutral??
Doea anybody have any clues why?? I have park, rev and drive but no neautral. Next time I have a Ford I'm keeping it!!!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if, you have changed the filter,
checkd the linkage,
flushed th trans,
put new fluid in.
and it still has problms, its smoked...

1) you're in the wrong place for this question.
2) anyone that buys a mini truck dsereves their fate :)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure, but it may also be something in the design of the Dodge transmission. I had a 2000 Durango, and even with a fresh rebuild on the transmission (from a very reputable shop) if I was in neutral and sitting on flat ground, if I reved up the engine it would creep. Not much, or fast, but it would move. At idle, it wouldn't. I do know that with a Dodge, when it is in park, they do not run the pump, it only runs in gear or neutral, so that might contribute it. If you have a Dodge and need to pull over and cool it down, you need to keep it in neutral to circulate fluid to cool it, in park it will do no good.....

Also, for now, I will leave this here, however, once you see this and respond, I will move it to the proper forum, which will be the Dodge Gasoline Engines section of the forum.

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys didn't knw where to go and just needed help. Everyone on here knws what they are talking about, so I figured I would ask. If I ruined someones day for posting here I appologize. I couldn't pass on the deal wether it was Mopar. I didn't see an option for gas engines or anything else. My tab is old and acting screwy. Anyways thanx for the input.

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the gas section, but can anyone tell me how to move this thread? Also I should let ya guys knw that I do own a 93 IDI Dually and the reason I picked up the Dudge is I only paid $250 for it and figured I could fix it up and make a profit. I should have said that from the start.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I will move it, now that you have seen where it will go. Please continue to ask questions so we can help you. This forum will not flame anyone for asking a question, no matter what it is, or what vehicle they own. We the moderation/administration staff will not stand for that.

Hopefully we can help you fix your problem, and you can help out other also. Glad you got a good deal on the truck, hopefully there is nothing serious with the transmission, but automatic transmissions were not Dodge's strong suit..... I towed a ~5000 lb camper with a 5.9 Durango that was rated at I believe 6900. The truck pulled it fairly well, but on a low mileage, well maintained truck, I got less than a season and a half towing before the transmission crapped out.

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate it bud. I knw Dodge has a history, but I figured it's way to make some extra cash but more importantly will be a learning experiance. I love working on all types of vehicles and always up for a challenge. I'm not the greatest mechanic and have learned a lot from members.
Oilburner's is the best for advice and learning new techniques. Thanks again

Large Marge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
/////Update///// Problem fixed somehow the tv cable . .well the only way to explain is the adjustment parts' guts were turned sideways?? Don't knw how it got like that, but it shifts just fine!!! 98% of the time it ends up being something small and weird.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Got in here a little late but most problems with Dodge auto's are due to a maladjusted TV cable.

BTW - I would highly recommend you install a shift kit. It will help extend the life of the transmission as these Dodge trannies aren't worth anything in stock form.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online