New here and to diesel from nor cal

Stew_pedaso

Reaction score
I purchased a 89 f250 last year that has 7.3 idi, zf5, and Borg 1356? Tcase. It's been converted to quad cab with a primer paint job. They did a decent job piecing it together and just chopping the front of long bed down.

7.3idi has unknown miles but last known was 300k 5 years ago. Newer injectors. 4" exhaust out from y pipe to rear. Seems to run strong with weeping head gasket and oil leaks everywhere when I tow rock crawler(7000#) to trails in nor cal

It was originally 2wd that was converted to 4wd with 4.10 gears and locked Dana 60 front. High steer with springless arms. Leaf sprung with panhard bar.

10.25 rear with 4.10 and open diff. Leaf sprung with a lot of wheel hop.

I came here looking for ideas and answers to questions when they arise. I also just picked up 86 6.9 with ats kit that I'm thinking of swapping in. Very clean and was told head gaskets were good

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum! youll find all the help you can ever want here.
lots of parts forsale too.
ive never had much luck with the 6.9's mainly because i buy beat up broken down rigs and bring them back up to par.
the 7.3's ive had are pretty damn awesome! all 3 versions!
welcome and good luck

sublime8396

Reaction score
Welcome i just picked up my 91 7.3 idi to tow my crawler around too so far love it.

Stew_pedaso

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcomes

The 6.9 I picked up had ford remanufactured sticker on valve covers along with no oil leaks. It was clean rig that looked maintained. Someone crashed into them and they got paid by insurance. Sold me the whole pick up for thousand.

gonna put head studs and head gaskets on it. Throw a regrind cam in it that a friend picked from someone on this board

Stew_pedaso

Reaction score
As things change in life, I change my mind. Ended up selling 6.9 to get 7.3 arp head studs. Had 7.3 head gaskets and regrind cam installed last week. Runs smoothe. Now to fix zf5 and install turbo