Annual Oil Change?

phmezz

Reaction score
So I'm putting about 3000 miles a year on my 93 IDI. I was changing the oil every six months. Now I'm thinking about every year. I drive around town once or twice a week but don't go very far. Anyone see any reason to change oil more frequently than one a year?

Using Motorcraft 15w-40 conventional diesel oil.

Last edited:

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious on this as well. I drive my truck on mostly short runs, 15-18 miles at a time or so. probably don't even drive 3k per year lol. Still for peace of mind, it's worth it to change it for sure once a year.

Reaction score
Using Motorola 15w-40 conventional diesel oil.

Wow. Motorola sure has been branching out, apparently. LOL

I stick to every 5K miles, regardless of time. That's what the sticker on the engine says, so that's what I do. Motorcraft FL-1995 oil filter and Delo 400 15W-40.

Mike

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't there something to be said for how you use your rig though? Like if you drive mostly highway miles it's a lot easier on your oil than if you're driving shorter trips?

To each his own.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i went 3+ yrs on my lightly used peterbilt. i sent a sample in every thanksgiving and they said to keep it in and retest next year. i sold the truck so i dont know how long i could have gone.
the 15w40 oils are very good.

time will eventully make it in need of being changed but not as quickly as we think.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with short trips and extended time is the moisture that builds up in the oil, and there can be some acids that develop over time. I am sure this is not as bad as it used to be, but it can happen. On short runs, the condensed water that is created from the oil getting warm, and then cooling never gets to evaporate. When you get the oil up to operating temp of a period of time, the moisture in the oil "boils off". Same thing happens in the exhaust system. Back in the day before exhausts were made from stainless, ever wonder why the "little old lady, that only drove her car to the beauty shop on Thursday and church on Sunday" had a rotted out exhaust, but the fella down the street that drives 60 miles round trip to work every day never had to replace an exhaust system. That is why, the "little old lady" never got the car hot enough to remove all the moisture, when the fella did. Same thing in the oil....... I would say keep a close eye on the oil fill cap and if you see a hint of "milkshake" on it, its time to take the truck for a nice long drive, or change the oil......

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw i was using walmart supertech oil in the peterbilt.they have several suppliers depending on the region. here its supplied by mobil and the st oil is comparable to delvac.

they also use citco and warren. both are good oils.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
btw i was using walmart supertech oil in the peterbilt.they have several suppliers depending on the region. here its supplied by mobil and the st oil is comparable to delvac.

they also use citco and warren. both are good oils.

So what kinda annual mileage did that Pete see?
Ya gotta go by the oil labs long report but at some point age and degreation will set in!
As to the o.p... There is a reason that guys drain the oil in classic's for prolonged storage( as mentioned above) I had a guy that worked in an oil lab tell me to allways try for at least 20 straight min's of opperating time just to steam off the h2o and heat cycle the oil !

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it went about 2000 miles the first and 2 nd year combined. only a couple hundred the 3rd year. so roughly 2300-2500 in 3 yrs.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Go by miles not time. Oil doesn't know how old it is. You hear these commercials that say you should change your oil every 3 months or 6 months or what ever. That and the 3000 miles oil change thing is a total load of crap. The oil change places just want to sell you more oil.

So long as your running it up to operating temperature every time you have it out there is no reason to dump the oil early.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
miles not time. If you run your truck frequently for very short duration I could see thinking about the time, but if its like mine it just sits alot. I just changed my oil on Monday for the first time since early 2012. The truck will sit for weeks without being started and then be called to service once. When I do use it I get it up to temp....like yesterday when it went on a 500+ mile road trip.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So let's say someone does shorter drives, could you counter that with a hotter thermostat?
And maybe removing the fan.
(On my psd, I just had to replace my water pump. Pulled out a 180° Thermostat and put in a 205, fubared the fan clutch getting it off, so I didn't put it back on. Also if you have never pulled your radiator, I would highly recommend it. Mine had all kinds of junk stuck in the front of it. Looked like stuff from the hood liner plus a lot of dirt and crap. I don't know how it wasnt overheating before? Also cleaned the inside with some clr, which I knew would cause it to leak, as I could see some sca dropout on the outside.
So now with the clean radiator, 205 thermostat, and no fan, it only runs slightly hotter than before, but takes way longer to get there. I suspect the higher temp gauge reading is from the 25° hotter thermostat.)
I sure towing would be different, but my daily drive involves about 70% or so city driving, no towing.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a reason why the engineers put a fan and 190*
Stat in the rigs.
That said I would watch the needle when towing with no cooling fan and a guaranteed over temp stat!
The max temp os 140* -130* so you have 10* of hill left!
As to the higher temp stat boiling off quicker' my personal thought is no it still needs time to boil off the h20 its 220 that starts the steam but ya still need time to off gas the water!
Fwiw
Cb

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If changing once a year, I'd suggest for the cost oil analysis and then you have all you need.

JM2CW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online