I got an '83 IDI!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Always wanted a first year IDI Ford truck

Heres the kicker, hasn't run since 2002....

1983 F250 4x4, 4spd 6.9 with a complete Fisher plow, new southern box never seen the road on this truck, looks brand new underneath.

And did I ever go through an adventure to get this home. 2 hour drive away.

Last week I first drove up just to go see the truck if it was worth my time. It was so I told him I'd return the fallowing weekend to come pick it, now since I hasn't moved since 2002, I wanted a trailer for it. Barrowed one from a friend.

Off I go, get there, had to slam a rim with a sledge, has a seized brake, didn't take much to free it up, alright, load it up on the trailer, was easy with his tractor.

5 min down the road no problem, get on the highway, hit a bump (bridge), snap a leaf spring shackle.....

So drag it on the leaf spring to the next exist, where there luckily was a gas station just down the hill on the offramp, left the truck and trailer there overnight Sunday. Took monday off, returned there, got the truck off the trailer (used a 12V winche), and just let the truck slam on the ground behind the trailer.

Hooked up mu tow bar to the plow mount, and away I went. To my surprise, 0 problems, truck fallowed just like a trailer, ran down the road in a perfect straight line, rear diff cover started leaking after that trip, guess the seals are dry after siting for 12 years.

Then go back again to get the trailer, jack the front axle off the ground, chain up the axle to the leaf spring, and another chain to a strap point in the front to keep the axle from shoving back, and towed the trailer back home to fix it. Again problem free drive.

4, 4 hour round trips for this damn truck. 2 in one day.

Anyways, pics!!!

Cab is rotted, but box is new from south, front clip is in ok shape, rad support is mint, frame, axles anything underneath looks pretty much brand new for some reason, no rust underneath at all.

Truck was made on 05/83 so it is one of the first IDI's, made in Canada to. I haven't check what gearing it has, but it be nice if it's the rare early IDI option 3.08 It does have a full floater rear Dana 60, D44 up front.

You must be registered for see images attach

Half way home with the tow bar

sassyrel

Reaction score
tow bars get the job done,,but you have to be damn careful........................and if it has 3.08,,,that ought get waaaaay good mileage.......

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Good looking truck. Slantnose trucks are my favorite body style. I learned to drive in an 83 F-150. Good luck with it. One thing that I notice, it is a new bed, but it is not the correct bed or tailgate. That is a brick/OBS bed and tailgate. Look at the fender arches on the front fender, vs the bed. They should have the same lines. Not sure the plans with this truck, but if you want to restore it to like new.... that isn't the bed to do it with. Just letting you know..... that is one of the 1st things I look for on a Slantnose truck is to see if it has the right bed/tailgate since that it one of the changes in 87 with the release of the bricknose. Otherwise, nice truck, enjoy the new project!!!!!!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
So far my plans are just to use it for parts. But I don't know what exactly i'm gonna do with it, not a restoration that's for sure, I have a 1990 in progress on a full resto, don't need another one right now. All it does need is a cab tho.... we'll see, won't touch it till next year, it's gonna be buried in snow here soon anyways and getting to cold to mess around something that hasn't run in 12 years.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It always suprises me what people will go through to get a rusted out $6-800 pickup...good luck with it!!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good score!

I went through the tow bar ordeal with an 86 F250 reg cab too, only mine would not follow worth a damn! My dad had to drive my truck, and I was in the towed vehicle to help assist with tracking. The front end of the I beam just didn't want to follow. Our drive was much longer than 4 hours but I got tired of waiting for the perfect parts I needed to restore my truck. It was a real proud father son moment when we got stopped by a cop. At any rate, your F250 is a ball joint TTB so I'm guessing that made a difference. You can have my cab if you can get it to ontario! LOL

As for 3.08s is not likely if it is a dana 60. The dana 61 however can accept 3.07s, but those are usually semi-floaters.

It would have been sweet if it was 3.08s though. An old ford like that doesn't carry around much dead weight so MPGs would have been great even without overdrive.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great find, my early 84' has the Dana 61/ 3:08 combo and I can get 21/22mpg on interstate if I stay under 65, and that with an old C6! With the old beast it shouldn't take you much just to see if she'll start? Keep us posted. ;)