Odd steering problem...

diesel458

Reaction score
So, all the steering issues I have heard of are about wandering and play left to right. But my steering wheel is sort of hanging out of the column and drooping. If you push the wheel toward the engine bay, it will square up and the "clock spring" pins drop into the contact track, and steering feels good. But the spring on the wheel side of the u joint under the dash pushes the wheel back out to the driver. Is this a common issue? Tracked it to where the shaft goes square after the u joint. The square shaft moves up and down inside the round shaft going the the gearbox. Don't see a lock on the square shaft guessing it's a floating shaft, and the problem is in the column?

Hope that all made sense...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rick

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It's the column. You can rebuilt it, kit is about $100. Not counting if something is egged out.
Better off finding a good used one.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
Edit: problem is people use the wheel as a grab handle to get in. So it wears out the bearings.

diesel458

Reaction score
Gotcha. I'll hit the junk yard tomorrow before work. Do I need a year specific column? Or one in the same body style range?

Thanks!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Same body style.
Preferably 250 and 350 as they won't have the airbag, but 150 will still work.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that hard to replace bearings in the column. I did mine here a while back. Made a world of difference. Now I try not to use the steering wheel to get in, as 79jasper said.

Course if you can find a column probably even easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online