Possible truck buy. Opinions?

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I found this truck for sale and it seems very appealing. I currently have the truck in my signature, a 94 2wd E4OD.
What I really want is a ZF5 4wd. That's what this truck is, a 1993:
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

The thinking is that the engine is blown. They're asking $1,500. I believe it would be a fairly simple process to drop my good engine in this truck. I think $1,500 is a bit much for a truck with a blown engine, unless it's in really good shape, but how would I knew the condition of the truck (particularly the transmission and 4wd) without an engine in it. The engine had 157k miles on it.
Anyways, any opinions?

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's enough there from what I can tell to be worth that, unless the body is hiding rust I can't see. If you don't want to pay it, offer less. Worst they can say is no. Lack of ability to test the drivetrain is a great reason to give them, and it's true, you're buying an unknown. How long ago do they say it ran?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have that information yet. Just found the posting and decided it looked interesting,but wanted to get some input first. Thanks.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best of luck. I wouldn't say I'm an authority or known for good decisions on these based on how mine is doing, but that's my opinion. Will watch what others think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, lots of people give up on these rigs once the IP goes. Well at least the ones who are not members of this forum! ;Really

Take a look and try to start the truck while you are there. Check the usual things.. (coolant, oil, etc) Let us know how it goes!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Crank fine, just no fuel out the pump. Which could also be lift pump, no fuel in tanks, cracked fuel line, clogged filter, etc. Or even the IP shutoff not getting power.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to convert my truck to a zf. All the junkyards around here wanted at least $750 for one. And then you had the pedal assembly and other things I needed. I bought a wrecked truck for $1000, which seemed high. But by the time I sold off the rest of the parts, my zf swap turned out to be about $300 instead of $750+, and I still have most of the donor left for spare parts I didn't sell (yet).

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I should definitely look into it. Particularly, I have a hell of a time finding older (IDIs) in my area. Almost all are gassers. There are Powerstrokes but not so much IDI.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Direwulf23, please go buy this truck so I won't have to! Looks like with a few dollars, this would be a pretty nice truck! I am wondering if the engine will run and knocks, or if it is totally dead. If it's just a knock, it could be a failing dual mass flywheel.....

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I was thinking, from the look of it, I'd be cool with pulling the engine and dropping mine in it. Now I'm hopeful the engine isn't all that bad and the people just don't know it lol.
Just for note, I thought of you cpdenton when I didn't post more info ;-)

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for note, I thought of you cpdenton when I didn't post more info ;-)

Haha! That's good stuff. No worries, I am spending too much money on the one I have now to buy anything else.

I saw this ad a week or so ago too. Not too many days go by that I don't spend some time looking at CL.

Maybe you can get in touch with the owner and get some more info...maybe even go have a look.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
$1500 isn't unreasonable given the price of a ZF5... I've paid anywhere from $300-$700 for a good 4wd ZF5. My top dollar for that truck would be $1k. I wouldn't touch an 87 and up truck though, but it's not out of line so long as the cab corners and rockers are solid.